LifeTime Supporter
Apr 25, 2009
Burlington, ON, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Well, as the topic title states, my Lab has been peeing on the snow that is sitting on top of my safety cover. She doesn't pee on the safety cover normally, but I guess the snow has her a bit confused. Now being a safety cover, when the snow melts, the pee will end up in the pool. It's not a huge amount, because she doesn't always pee there, but my kids said they'll never swim in the pool again (they're all talk of course).

Anything special I should do upon opening, or business as usual (meaning just open like normal - nothing extra needing to be done because of the pee).

Thanks.

This shouldn't present any serious difficulties. You will want to shock the pool on opening, but that should go very quickly and easily (as long as you don't let the water get too warm before opening).

You may want to give the cover a good scrub before you put it away too. :wink:

AnnaK said:
I'd be willing to bet the cumulative amount of urine left by your dog is less than what the kids leave behind in just one good swimming afternoon.

+1 AnnaK

An interesting chemistry experiment that I have personally conducted was to test FC before and after an "adult" swim party and comparing the results to the before and after FC of a "kiddo" swim party. Trust me, there is a difference. :mrgreen:

In all seriousness, I would agree that the doggie urine issue poses little concern as long as you shock upon opening as usual.

Thanks for the quick replies. I usually open as soon as there is no ice in the pool (usually first week of April or thereabouts) so no worries about the pool getting too warm. I'll just proceed with my usual opening procedure (which, of course, does include shocking).

The dog, by the way, doesn't normally go on the cover, but now that it's covered in snow and ice, she thinks it's OK to be in that area.

An interesting chemistry experiment that I have personally conducted was to test FC before and after an "adult" swim party and comparing the results to the before and after FC of a "kiddo" swim party. Trust me, there is a difference. :mrgreen:
So? Which way was it different? Are the adults REALLY peeing less? It's very rare that I see an adult get out of the pool to go to the bathroom. Maybe they just never have to go!?!?! (I don't believe that. I'm out of the water at least every hour. I swear I'm absorbing water through my skin.) My teenagers seem to be more concerned about this than the adults do.

On the other hand, I'm the only person I know that has never peed in a wetsuit. For some reason, once I put the suit on, I never have the urge to go, even once I'm in the water. (At least up til now.) Once I take the wetsuit off, you can bet I'm either running for the restroom, or back over the side into the water. (lake or ocean, not the pool) :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So? Which way was it different?

Ha! I thought you'd never ask! :mrgreen:

I keep records...hold on a sec.

Hot summer afternoon...

Beginning with my FC at 5.2 ppm (no CC) one hour prior to the beginning of a swim party where 8 children, ranging in age from 4 to 10 years old, had the opportunity to be in the pool for roughly 2 hours. Unlimited Kool-Aid was provided. Afterwards, the sample showed that I had a FC of 3.5 and a CC of 0.5. Pool slightly cloudy. An interesting sidebar to this was that there were no identifiable wet footprints in the bathroom.

Another summer afternoon...

Beginning with my FC at 5.2 again (no CC), 6 adults were provided with barbeque, beer, and just about anything that could be made with rum and allowed use of the pool for a time period exceeding 4+ hours. After the sun was down and all had dissipated, FC read 4.5 with no CC. Pool water clear. Numerous bathroom trips were made.

Not scientific of course. Still funny though. But I am a long-time TFPer. This is what I do. And yes, I have taken my test kit to the neighborhood pool. How ridiculous is that? :lol:

Do we want to know the results there?

Scott

I just remember the neighborhood pool being smelly and somewhat cloudy. As I can recall, the CC was high (smelled like chlorine). It wasn't overstabilized though and I attributed this to the fact that the pool had a sand filter that was subject to routine backwashes.

257WbyMag said:
I just remember the neighborhood pool being smelly and somewhat cloudy. As I can recall, the CC was high (smelled like chlorine). It wasn't overstabilized though and I attributed this to the fact that the pool had a sand filter that was subject to routine backwashes.
Our family took every opportunity to travel, by car, alternating between camping and motels (and the occasional "auto court", few of which still exist today) during summer. The parental units knew that all that constant car travel was as hard on kids as it was on the adults driving, and the crankiness could be ameliorated if the destination included a body of water open for swimming (exhausted children being far more prone to contentment and sleep). But the hazards included roadhouse restaurants that fed more flies than people and "swimming pools" that were nearly as cloudy and smelly as a septic tank. The pools were inevitably populated with masses of unwashed children, unloaded from un- air conditioned passenger cars and station wagons after long days of fabricated interpersonal crises, bad food and restroom stops, each of which was good for miles of general commentary on its state of filth and disrepair. In retrospect, it was probably far healthier swimming at the lakes and ponds we encountered than in the over/under/non-chlorinated cesspools that passed for swimming facilities in the locations we visited. None of us managed to get through an afternoon of swimming in such places without red, irritated eyes, if not the awareness that we had just participated in a massive exchange of all kinds of viruses and bacteria with children who may or may not have had their weekly bath in the days before entering the pool. Who knows what contributed to the subsequent upper GI disruptions that took place in the back seat on so many of those trips?

Ah, the old days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.