Building up a foundation for AGP

I am looking to install a 30' AGP this spring. I was going to do it last year, but I had a backhoe pull out some tree stumps that were in the way. I wanted to let that ground firm up over the winter. My backyard has a very high water table, and I believe that if I dig down far enough to get solid ground, then the pool will be sitting in water for much of the year. I was thinking to dig down to undisturbed soil, and then have someone come out with grade 5 or something to build it back up. Do any of you see a problem with this? If not, what kind of contractor should I call ... a landscaping company? This location is my only option, and my wife will murder me in my sleep if the pool isn't running this year.

Where are you located? That'll make some difference.

Digging to undistrubed soil and refilling will work if done correctly. You need to compress the existing soil to 95% proctor denisity. That just means compact it till it won't compact any more. Do not skimp on this step. Then fill in no more than 6" lifts and compact that the same. Don't skimp here either. A vibrating plate works good for compacting, but done correctly, takes a good bit of time.

Do you need to dig to level the site? If not, I would consider simply spreading gravel, sand, etc that will not compact and keep your pool up out of the water.

Your idea will work but it's not clear to me you will gain anything.

I'm all for DYI. But, since you have to level the site to make your AGP work on your lot, I would strongly advise having an excavating contractor look at it. The base is not something to skimp on or do a DYI job on if you are not REAL sure what your doing. If it's not done correctly, the least that can happen is that the pool will not be level, and at worst, it could collapse.

Pictures will help a lot. Digging down and adding fill back isn't usually a problem. However, if the ground on the low side needs to be built up beyond the normal level of the surrounding earth then you should consider at least getting an opinion from an expert. The natural angle of repose will have to be maintained for the fill if there's enough room to maintain it. or a retaining wall will have to be built if there's not enough room. Compacting the fill will have to be done correctly whichever path is chosen. Your confidence with doing the work is something only you can answer. I agree with bk406, if you're not very confident in your ability to DIY it, you'll be better off hiring it done.

Keep in mind that a 30' pool holds ~ 22,000 gallons and weighs ~ 184,000 lbs or 250 lbs/sqft.

I will have to dig to level the site. How do you compact the soil... with a plate compactor?

Could you build up the low side rather than dig out the high side? If so, I would suggest exploring that option.

1. It's easier.

2. Functionally, it's much better to have none of your pool walls below ground.

3. Typically drainage becomes a non-issue

That your soil is sandy is good.....much better than expansive clay. Yes, plate compactors or "jumping jacks" are used frequently. Howver, neither can compact very deep at all and it normally is done in successive layers.

Not digging at all will be your best bet but there may be some physical or aesthetic reason why that won't be practical.

What I planned to do was only dig down far enough to get to undisturbed soil. The reason it has been disturbed is due to the excavator removing the tree stumps last year. After that has been done, I wanted to fill back in, but only back up to the height of the rest of the yard. I don't want the pool to be up on a "pedestal", I just don't want the pool to be sunk in at all. I don't plan on doing this work myself, as I'm sure I don't have the equipment or expertise to make it solid. I would like to find out what the costs are to have this done, so I can decide if I have enough money to have someone else install the pool on top of it. I'm not too intimidated by the pool install itself as I know that the most difficult part is having a solid, level site.

I believe your best bet would be to get estimates.

Good luck and post a lot of pics of the install. We love pics. The more the better. :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This was exactly our situation some years back when we put in our larger pool. We have a water table at 18", had only one spot for a pool that size and had removed trees from the site. We were in a drained swamp so had class 5 and the plate compacter it is tedious work but you must compact it in layers to be solid or risk collapse. We rented the compactor and ordered the fill but own all the other equipment. Ours has never shifted so it can be done DIY but do not cut corners and there is no such thing as too careful or overkill with fill, compacting and leveling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.