Snowmageddon Feb 2010

We have about a ft here in SW PA. My dad has over 2 ft in the mountain. He just called to see where I was. We were suppose to go squirrel hunting today to close out the season. I told him, we wouldn't be able to see the squirrels as they tunnel through the snow. :shock:

Some pics from this morning...

Poor girl doesn't even have to squat to go piddle.

We measured 28" of snow. The power has been out for 30 hours so far, and will probably be out for several more days. Our street hasn't been plowed, and probably won't be plowed till Tuesday or Wednesday. The temperatures went down into the single digits last night. Oh, and a tree fell on the garage. Keep in mind that this is in the Washington DC suburbs. The running joke around here is that the mayors plan for snow removal in DC is to wait for spring.

Fortunately I lived in New England for 20 years, so I am fairly used to this kind of thing. We have a New England sized snow blower, a whole house backup generator, working cable TV, phone, and Internet connections, and lots of firewood, food, and water. I have trouble imagining what a less prepared Maryland native is thinking about this storm. The average snow storm around here is 1/2" that melts the next day. Last year we didn't even get that.

[attachment=0:3os7lzf8]IMG_0025.jpg[/attachment:3os7lzf8]

Attachments

• IMG_0025.jpg
    IMG_0025.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 405
Yikes! :shock: :shock: Ya'll have got some problems up there.

Glad you're so well prepared (why doesn't that surprise me?) and hope those unprepared (as I would've been) get power and road access restored quickly.

WOW, please keep warm and stay out of the weather. Please make sure that your Carbon Monoxide Monitors are working properly :cheers:

JasonLion said:
We measured 28" of snow. The power has been out for 30 hours so far, and will probably be out for several more days. Our street hasn't been plowed, and probably won't be plowed till Tuesday or Wednesday. The temperatures went down into the single digits last night. Oh, and a tree fell on the garage. ...

Fortunately I lived in New England for 20 years, so I am fairly used to this kind of thing. ...
Ah, that takes me back (I grew up in Massachusetts). We used to have a carport (as I remember, an aluminum roof held up by some posts) until one particularly hefty storm. It tolerated the snow okay, until my dad went out to the car to get something, and slammed the door. Boom! the carport roof fell in, landing on the car (left a permanent dent). Dad was okay, if a bit startled.

Hope the local kids get a chance to build snow caves, that used to be our first order of business after the snow plows came through and left those huge mounds on the roadside.
--paulr

duraleigh said:
Yikes! :shock: :shock: Ya'll have got some problems up there.

Glad you're so well prepared (why doesn't that surprise me?) and hope those unprepared (as I would've been) get power and road access restored quickly.

Dave, we were out at the store the day before getting food and supplies. They were a bit packed but nothing majorly distressing. <I hate crowded stores>

We lost power yesterday for a couple hours. Thank goodness it wasn't longer. The estimated wait time on power restoration was 11:59 pm on 2/11/10. :shock:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks like we're in for another round, 6", Tuesday night into Wednesday. :shock:

Summer couldn't come fast enough. I'm sick of all this snow. I better try to make it out tomorrow for a few more things. Seems like every school is closed, even the campus'. Nobody has left the house since Friday.

After 4 days 14 hours without utility power, and 10" more inches of snow (total of 38"), the generator failed. Coincidentally, 20 minutes later Pepco restored utility power to our block. Our street is still impassible, school has been canceled for the entire week, and very high winds are predicted for tonight and tomorrow. Because of the high winds, power could go out again at any moment. I have the feeling that I still need to go out and continue trying to fix the generator, even though we don't need it at just this moment. Still, things are looking up.

Wow, we are watching from here.....thinking of all of you caught in the storms. :(

Wishing all of you the best....stay safe and warm....

doing the chant.....power stay on....power stay on...power stay on...

oh Jason, you're right, git' out there and work on that genny :hammer: ....just in case :-D

Round two of the storm and the snow plow left me a two and a half foot iceball in my driveway. It''s stuck. I am going to have to use my rotary drill in hammer mode and a chisel bit to bust if up. I am so not going to be in a good mood tomorrow afternoon when I finish digging out myself and some clients.

Scott

30+ inches here on the farm in Pennsylvania. Our neighbors at the house in NJ say it's worse there. We'll dig out here tomorrow, then drive into the city to clear the snow there. Thankfully, the power is still on.

Man those pictures make me long for my snomobile. Not much call for it in the sunny south. Here in Atlanta , even the mention of snow and the city shuts down and the super markets are pilledged of all the bread and milk.

PoolGuyNJ said:
Round two of the storm and the snow plow left me a two and a half foot iceball in my driveway. It''s stuck. I am going to have to use my rotary drill in hammer mode and a chisel bit to bust if up. I am so not going to be in a good mood tomorrow afternoon when I finish digging out myself and some clients.
A sledge might work, until you get close to pavement. I remember my dad doing that, when we forgot the cardinal rule--first thing to clear is what the plow leaves behind, especially if it's slushy. Leave it overnight and it's 100 times harder.
--paulr

Right now, more than seven days after the snow started falling, they are finally "plowing" our street. Plowing isn't really the correct term for what is happening. They are running some heavy construction equipment, which really wasn't designed to be used removing snow. Still, it seems to be getting the job done.

Also, the power went out again today, though only for half an hour.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.