Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snowmageddon Feb 2010

1. Back To Top    #1

Snowmageddon Feb 2010

Snow began in Waretown NewJersey at 9 pm tonight. I am expecting between 1-2 feet. Average consensus is 18".
    Oh Joy. I miss the Summer.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Snowmageddon Feb 2010

We have about a ft here in SW PA. My dad has over 2 ft in the mountain. He just called to see where I was. We were suppose to go squirrel hunting today to close out the season. I told him, we wouldn't be able to see the squirrels as they tunnel through the snow.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Over a foot here so far. The 40 mph gusts are blowing with increased regularity. Don't think I will choose to work on any spa calls today.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

4. Back To Top    #4

Some pics from this morning...

Poor girl doesn't even have to squat to go piddle.

5. Back To Top    #5

We measured 28" of snow. The power has been out for 30 hours so far, and will probably be out for several more days. Our street hasn't been plowed, and probably won't be plowed till Tuesday or Wednesday. The temperatures went down into the single digits last night. Oh, and a tree fell on the garage. Keep in mind that this is in the Washington DC suburbs. The running joke around here is that the mayors plan for snow removal in DC is to wait for spring.

Fortunately I lived in New England for 20 years, so I am fairly used to this kind of thing. We have a New England sized snow blower, a whole house backup generator, working cable TV, phone, and Internet connections, and lots of firewood, food, and water. I have trouble imagining what a less prepared Maryland native is thinking about this storm. The average snow storm around here is 1/2" that melts the next day. Last year we didn't even get that.

[attachment=0:3os7lzf8]IMG_0025.jpg[/attachment:3os7lzf8]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Yikes! Ya'll have got some problems up there.

Glad you're so well prepared (why doesn't that surprise me?) and hope those unprepared (as I would've been) get power and road access restored quickly.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

WOW, please keep warm and stay out of the weather. Please make sure that your Carbon Monoxide Monitors are working properly
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    We measured 28" of snow. The power has been out for 30 hours so far, and will probably be out for several more days. Our street hasn't been plowed, and probably won't be plowed till Tuesday or Wednesday. The temperatures went down into the single digits last night. Oh, and a tree fell on the garage. ...

Fortunately I lived in New England for 20 years, so I am fairly used to this kind of thing. ...
    Ah, that takes me back (I grew up in Massachusetts). We used to have a carport (as I remember, an aluminum roof held up by some posts) until one particularly hefty storm. It tolerated the snow okay, until my dad went out to the car to get something, and slammed the door. Boom! the carport roof fell in, landing on the car (left a permanent dent). Dad was okay, if a bit startled.

Hope the local kids get a chance to build snow caves, that used to be our first order of business after the snow plows came through and left those huge mounds on the roadside.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

9. Back To Top    #9

Jason, I feel the pain. I just got in from clearing driveways from Srs. and widows. They get a reduced rate.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Yikes! Ya'll have got some problems up there.

Glad you're so well prepared (why doesn't that surprise me?) and hope those unprepared (as I would've been) get power and road access restored quickly.
    Dave, we were out at the store the day before getting food and supplies. They were a bit packed but nothing majorly distressing. <I hate crowded stores>

We lost power yesterday for a couple hours. Thank goodness it wasn't longer. The estimated wait time on power restoration was 11:59 pm on 2/11/10.

11. Back To Top    #11

Looks like we're in for another round, 6", Tuesday night into Wednesday.

Summer couldn't come fast enough. I'm sick of all this snow. I better try to make it out tomorrow for a few more things. Seems like every school is closed, even the campus'. Nobody has left the house since Friday.

12. Back To Top    #12

After 4 days 14 hours without utility power, and 10" more inches of snow (total of 38"), the generator failed. Coincidentally, 20 minutes later Pepco restored utility power to our block. Our street is still impassible, school has been canceled for the entire week, and very high winds are predicted for tonight and tomorrow. Because of the high winds, power could go out again at any moment. I have the feeling that I still need to go out and continue trying to fix the generator, even though we don't need it at just this moment. Still, things are looking up.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

Wow, we are watching from here.....thinking of all of you caught in the storms.

Wishing all of you the best....stay safe and warm....

doing the chant.....power stay on....power stay on...power stay on...

oh Jason, you're right, git' out there and work on that genny ....just in case
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

Round two of the storm and the snow plow left me a two and a half foot iceball in my driveway. It''s stuck. I am going to have to use my rotary drill in hammer mode and a chisel bit to bust if up. I am so not going to be in a good mood tomorrow afternoon when I finish digging out myself and some clients.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC

15. Back To Top    #15

30+ inches here on the farm in Pennsylvania. Our neighbors at the house in NJ say it's worse there. We'll dig out here tomorrow, then drive into the city to clear the snow there. Thankfully, the power is still on.
    AnnaK

12,500 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

Man those pictures make me long for my snomobile. Not much call for it in the sunny south. Here in Atlanta , even the mention of snow and the city shuts down and the super markets are pilledged of all the bread and milk.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    Round two of the storm and the snow plow left me a two and a half foot iceball in my driveway. It''s stuck. I am going to have to use my rotary drill in hammer mode and a chisel bit to bust if up. I am so not going to be in a good mood tomorrow afternoon when I finish digging out myself and some clients.
    A sledge might work, until you get close to pavement. I remember my dad doing that, when we forgot the cardinal rule--first thing to clear is what the plow leaves behind, especially if it's slushy. Leave it overnight and it's 100 times harder.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

18. Back To Top    #18

In the Industry

I asked for it and we got it today in Atlanta. about 4" on my deck. Now I am really jonesin for a sled.

19. Back To Top    #19

Right now, more than seven days after the snow started falling, they are finally "plowing" our street. Plowing isn't really the correct term for what is happening. They are running some heavy construction equipment, which really wasn't designed to be used removing snow. Still, it seems to be getting the job done.

Also, the power went out again today, though only for half an hour.

20. Back To Top    #20

Chris, Is the pool running?

Jason, did you fix the generator?

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast