I couldn't find CYA, I can't start my conversion

Jul 8, 2007
Central Texas
Folks,

I just walked all over Lowes and Home Depot, and I couldn't find Cyanuric acid. The store clerks just blinked when I asked, both in the swimming pool section and paints, and the pool stores are all closed on Sunday.

What exactly is Cyanuric acid? What else is it used for? brand names?

Can I add the bleach without a stabilizer?

Thanks,
Roberto

YES! Add the bleach to convert, and when it is over then add the CYA.

It is also called stabilizer, or sometimes conditioner.

Get your FC up to 15 and keep it there. Don't worry about anything else for now, just bleach bleach bleach!!

ETA Test as much as you can... 3-4 times a day if possible, and get the FC back up to 15 each time. The closer you keep it to 15 at all times, the faster your conversion will go!

When Lowes or Home Depot have it it is called stabalizer and is in the pool supplies section. Around here they get some in in the spring and when they sell out that is it for the year. Further South they seem to be a little better about stocking it. Pool supplies are generally in the semi-indoor portion of the plants area, but it varies from store to store quite a bit. WalMart and K-Mart are also possibilities and a pool store will surely have it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.