Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Why unscented bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

Why unscented bleach

I've seen quite a few threads specifying unscented bleach, but haven't seen any that give a reason for this. What is in scented bleach that would cause problems? Would the additives used to provide the scent not dissipate just like the chlorine, or would they instead build up over time (similar to CYA?) and start to become a problem after long-term use? Is there a short-term problem with scented bleach? Suppose that through lack of foresight or whatever the only bleach I have on hand is scented, and I need to add chlorine before I have a chance to get to the store? Would that really be a problem?

I don't have any particular reason to use scented bleach, I'm just curious.

Thanks,
    Tim.
    24' AG Round (vinyl replaced 0909) - 13500 gal - Sand Dollar Filter (150lb) - Dynamo DYNII-N1-1 1HP - Hayward HP380 Heat Pump - TF-100.
    Central Missouri

Before I speak, I have something important to say.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Why unscented bleach

I have been told the additives that make it scented or not things you want in your pool.

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm sure someone will come along with a more technical answer, but for my purposes, I want to know exactly what I'm adding to the pool and not second guess what the chemicals that give the scent are doing to the water. Bleach is chlorine, salt and lye; I'd rather not be introducing any more variables into the water.
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)

4. Back To Top    #4

The main problem is that the scents used in scented bleach don't break down at all easily. The scent will be quite apparent in the pool and build up over time as you continue using scented bleach. Also, scented bleach is more expensive than regular bleach. Finally, some scented bleach also contains other additives which can cause other problems, though that is less common.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

A synopsis of the answers above would go something like.......

A prime tenant of the BBB method is not to put things in your pool that you don't need or are not sure of the content
    For those interested in discussing the more complex ideas associated with that, I suggest starting a new thread in "The Deep End".

A side discussion about surfactants, referred to above, has been moved to The Deep End. JasonLion

Another prime tenant of BBB is simplicity and I don't want our new vistors to think BBB is more than they can do. If they choose to go into the The Deep End forum, they (and the rest of us) can get as detailed and theoretical as we want.....that's it's purpose.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

For those interested in discussing the more complex ideas associated with that, I suggest starting a new thread in "The Deep End".

Another prime tenant of BBB is simplicity and I don't want our new vistors to think BBB is more than they can do. If they choose to go into the The Deep End forum, they (and the rest of us) can get as detailed and theoretical as we want.....that's it's purpose.
    Good point, Dave. This has gotten a lot more in depth than I expected. Of course I should have expected it. Every time I ask one of my weirdo "I'm just curious" questions it generates a lot more responses (and more wide ranging responses) than I expect.
    24' AG Round (vinyl replaced 0909) - 13500 gal - Sand Dollar Filter (150lb) - Dynamo DYNII-N1-1 1HP - Hayward HP380 Heat Pump - TF-100.
    Central Missouri

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by TimS

Good point, Dave. This has gotten a lot more in depth than I expected. Of course I should have expected it. Every time I ask one of my weirdo "I'm just curious" questions it generates a lot more responses (and more wide ranging responses) than I expect.
    Never mind the questions... what are you going to do about those eyebrows? Oh, such eyes I never did see! yuch, yuch

No reason the entire thread can't be moved to the Deep End... could leave initial responses intact if they are better off here. Hey! What about employing one of those new Rambling moderators to do some actual work around here? Haven't they seen this thread? Don't they Casey the joint? [insert guffaws here]
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

8. Back To Top    #8

Never mind the questions... what are you going to do about those eyebrows?
    I suppose I could cut them off and make my mustache even bushier.

What about employing one of those new Rambling moderators to do some actual work around here? Haven't they seen this thread? Don't they Casey the joint? [insert guffaws here]
    Are you kidding? They're still recovering from the celebration. It'll be a couple of days, at least, before they're good for anything.
    Central Missouri