Pool Rules

Sep 25, 2009
Okay, so as I dig out from this winter weather... I'm anxiously awaiting openning of my pool the first time. What rules do you establish for guests, how do you enforce them and am I being too over precautious? :hammer:

1. Don't come without drinks :cheers:
2. Enjoy the ool. Notice there is no "P". Please keep it that way :cool:
3. Have fun.

Just messing with you a little bit :-D The pool is there for fun. Most people assume common sense and don't cause problems. They are there to have fun and would most likely like to be invited back. Just relax and have a good time. Too many rules and not only is the fun gone, they won't want to come back :(

Open it up and make some good memories! That's what a pool is all about :whoot:

If kids are over, the NO RUNNING is enforced. Last thing I want is a child tripping on the concrete, and hitting the many hazards around a pool, or falling in the pool. No horseplay, no peeing, no glass containers, you throw it in, you get it out. :)

If you don't have very young children or have forgotten how it was...they like to know the rules even though they may have limited capacity to remember or follow them. On first use, before anyone gets in the water, I gather the tikes around me for a huddle and let them know the basics: no diving into the shallow-end or into the 42" in-ground hot tub (they will try it, be assured... I just tell them, "You will DIE!"); no running around the pool (this will be ignored 8 minutes into the swim); if you have to go to the bathroom, do it now because there's no peeing in the pool.... It's good to tell them while they're all together because they'll recite the rules to each other later while swimming -- to gain social advantage over their peers and manipulate gullible adults into providing them favorable treatement.

After patiently and self-consciously telling a small group of very attentive 4-6 yr olds about these prohibited activities, one of them raised his hand with a question weighing heavily on his mind. Yes? "You said not to pee in the water, right?" Right. "Does that also mean number 2... or not?" That, too. "OK!" And with no further ado, he was off to the bathroom.... :!:

I tend to handle it on a case by case basis. I try to limit the number of friends over at one time; more than two and they better have their parents there (I'd rather not play lifeguard)....then I handle incidents as they occur...as I see a child attempt to walk on the top rail, I say no-no. If I see them ready a dive position, I say Uh-Uh-Uh....if they try to walk into my house sopping wet, I yell like a banche, etc. My main rules pertains to toys/accessories - nothing can be left in the pool at the end of the day, I'm not the pool maid.

One rule I do have if they have a new friend over and/or one I'm uncertain as to their swimming ability, I make them take a brief swim test to try and guage their skill level. Otherwise they wear floaties if they can't touch the bottom. All of this is becoming irrelevant as the kids get older and taller....

I have yet to have an adults only swimming occasion, so I've not bothered to post adults-only rules....a few come to mind :lol: :mrgreen:

GrantsPool said:
Okay, so as I dig out from this winter weather... I'm anxiously awaiting openning of my pool the first time. What rules do you establish for guests, how do you enforce them and am I being too over precautious? :hammer:
You are absolutely not being too overly precautious!

You might want to try a google search (bottom left on page) for safety rules and see what pops up!

We really do understand your dilemma , as it has been asked many times by responsible pool owners and we still have tons of comments! :-D

Oh waste. You are bad! :twisted: You using buck shots or not? :lol:

My rules are as followed...

1. No peeing in the pool. My handy, dandy test kit will know from deminished chlorine when I just topped'er off. :shock: :mrgreen:

2. No climbing over the walls or standing on the walls. That's why I have steps!

3. You must swim with da dog! :mrgreen: Remember, it is her pool! You are only invited.

4. If you have never swam in my pool and are a delinquent, you must be accompanied by an adult with some sense. Only two neighbor children are allowed to swim when I'm not home, DH is home.

5. BYOB and don't forget some for me!

6. Get your towel before you get in! <My kids still don't do this> :hammer:

7. Don't run through the house soaking wet. <Another rule the kids break> :roll:

8. If you don't want wet, stay away from the pool! <Can't tell ya how many people gripe because someone splashed them>

9. If you play with the pool toys, clean them up and put them away!

10. Don't play with the pump or eyeball.

11. Do not! under any circumstances try to swim behind the steps. If you lose a toy, I will get it later :!:

12. Most of all, have fun.

I think that is about it. Personally, rules are good. It keeps order and can prevent injuries.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree with most here, my one hardfast rule is NO CHILD EVER ALONE, there must be at least one other person to go get help if something goes wrong. Also, for teenagers, no pool parties without me at home, just to periodically keep my eye on things. I enjoy throwing pool parties for family and friends, and in my book, my pool still does not get enough use for what is costs to run (but God it is beautiful), so dont be afraid to let people use it, just make sure they use it wisely!

polyvue said:
If you don't have very young children or have forgotten how it was...they like to know the rules even though they may have limited capacity to remember or follow them. On first use, before anyone gets in the water, I gather the tikes around me for a huddle and let them know the basics: no diving into the shallow-end or into the 42" in-ground hot tub (they will try it, be assured... I just tell them, "You will DIE!"); no running around the pool (this will be ignored 8 minutes into the swim); if you have to go to the bathroom, do it now because there's no peeing in the pool.... It's good to tell them while they're all together because they'll recite the rules to each other later while swimming -- to gain social advantage over their peers and manipulate gullible adults into providing them favorable treatement.

After patiently and self-consciously telling a small group of very attentive 4-6 yr olds about these prohibited activities, one of them raised his hand with a question weighing heavily on his mind. Yes? "You said not to pee in the water, right?" Right. "Does that also mean number 2... or not?" That, too. "OK!" And with no further ado, he was off to the bathroom.... :!:

With my four year old and her friends I've found that "you'll be hurt badly, cry for a long time and maybe have to go to the hospital" works a lot better than you will die. I suspect that death is a little too abstract while everyone has taken a spill or 30 off their scooter or whatever.

1) Bring your own towels
2) Little ones must be watched by an adult. Teens don't cut it. There is a swim test for pre-teens.
3) Bring your own stuff for the BBQ. Don't expect me to cook it too. I just got home from a line replacement or liner or replaced 2 pumps and 3 filters. I am tired.
4) Dry off before going in the house or sitting on the chairs. I hate sitting on wet chairs.
5) The dogs swim. Deal with it. The dogs bark. They are happy and playful. They jump and will bump you in on purpose. Then they will bark some more.
6) The cats will steal food off the table or your plate, fork, where ever. They have moxie. Deal with it without hurting them.
7) If you're drunk, I am taking your keys. I'll take some guff but I have limits. I worked my Rear off all day. Don't push it.
8) I may not want to swim. I have been playing with pools all day. I've had enough.
9) Have fun.
10) Be darn sure the person you shove in the pool doesn't have a cell phone on them or you are replacing it.

Scott

Grape Ape said:
With my four year old and her friends I've found that "you'll be hurt badly, cry for a long time and maybe have to go to the hospital" works a lot better than you will die. I suspect that death is a little too abstract while everyone has taken a spill or 30 off their scooter or whatever.
Hi Grape

I think you're right, especially with 4 year olds. In practice, I've actually phrased it like that with only one little boy -- a six year old neighborhood urchin and toughie who ignored my gentle reminders to be careful that he didn't "accidentlly" push anyone into the spa.

We have some general rules -

My pool and I are not your babysitter; supervisor your kids or don't come
Nobody swims when neither my husband nor I am home
Small children must be taken to the bathroom by their parents BEFORE getting into the water
No drinking allowed under 21 years of age (we regularly have oodles of 15-20 year olds at our house)
No cats or dogs allowed on deck
Close umbrella on pool deck before leaving
Smokers on pool deck must use ashtrays and empty them when they leave
No drinking allowed at the pool unless it involves a blender and I am present :p

"solid" rules that are carved into a wooden sign at the poolside:

Clean feet before entering pool
Remove all toys from pool when done
Cover must be replaced when done
Hang up all towels
Keep gate closed

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.