What should I do with my pool if I'm gone all September

aqualicious

LifeTime Supporter
May 22, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I know this is way early, but I miss my pool and got thinking about it.

We just finalized our plans to visit family in Greece and will be gone for pretty much the whole month of september.

I really would rather not hassle anyone to come by too often. My sister can come by for the first 12 days, but I don't want to burden her with too much to do.

I was thinking before leaving doing a good closing cleanup and putting the black tarp on so no garbage gets in, leaving the filter on low while we're gone, and putting lots of chlorine in, like we did upon closing this year....
I can do a good chlorine drop the day we leave.
My sister could do another chlorine shock up to 11 days in...(then she's gone)
That leaves 15 days until we return.

If it makes a difference we live in southern ontario and full direct sun from noon to 6 during that time of year.

Does this make sense? If not what do you suggest.

A couple of years ago I was in a similar situation; I would be gone for a month and don't have anyone I could ask to maintain my AGP. I'm in eastern PA where Septembers can still be pretty warm.

My solution was to raise the FC to 18, put on the solar cover, turn the pump off, and drive away. As a member here said, "If there's algae when you come back, not a problem. You know how to deal with a green pool."

Sure enough, I had a green pool when I returned, but since I hadn't disconnected the pump and the plumbing and hadn't drained it down as I would for a full winterization, I was able to clean the water up within a week or so. I suppose I could have left it green since we close at the end of October anyway, but there are few things uglier to look at all winter than a swampy pool.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy your trip and don't waste any time thinking about the pool.

There have been quite a few Septembers when I just said, "I'm done." and covered the pool. I've always opened to crystal clear water.

Have fun!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.