Concrete Buckling What to do!

Mar 22, 2008
Okay so my pool is odd shaped, right in this section it bumps out for a low palm tree, the palm tree hangs over the pool. I noticed that the concrete around this area of the pool is buckling. Check out the picture, any ideas what to do? how to fix?

DSC02652.jpg

I will try tomorrow, that white stripe should be touching the blue tile, it is separating from the blue tile and there is a gap between the tile and the concrete. I assume water is getting in behind there as well.

Good chance you'll see palm tree roots coming through next. All you can do at this point is tear up the existing coping and pour new (and install a bio-barrier to keep the palm tree roots out!). People don't seem to think palm trees can do much damage, but they certainly can.

nitz,

Yeah, I understand what we're looking at now. Like simi has said, it's almost surely the palm tree that has buckled the decking.

Unless you think it could be from something else, your only solution is to take down the tree. Over time, the concrete may settle back somewhat as the offending root(s) dies.

I'd also assume it was the tree doing this. Like you, we had an overpour deck that used that white plastic strip. Except in our case, they did not do a good job and the plastic did not line up at the seams. I made the PB cut it out and put in white grout. Its not a big job and I could have easily done it myself. So you may want to do that in order to seal the gap so water does not overflow if the slab does not come back down. However, I'd recommend getting it professionally fixed. Can you repour that section of slab?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.