Newbie Questions

Jan 27, 2010
I've been looking to build a bbq island for a while now and have read lots of posts. Great info! but I still have some basic questions.
1. how far apart do the studs have to be and why/when do you double them up back to back?
2. best size studs and screws to use.
3. what is a good grill to buy, I was going to get one from bbq galore.
4. is there a program to help design an island?

Thank you for your help
Charles

Not an island expert, but i know studwork.
If using wood studs, look for those new "plastic" type used on many new decks. they will
last much longer than even the treated wood studs.

Because an island is much smaller than a wall, 16" between studs is normal, you may want
to use 12". Note that if you are building an island with an inside or outside curve, you may want the studs closer.

Usually you double up the studs at corners.

As a grill dealer myself, there are too many good ones to choose just one.
Like your home, find one that really suits your needs.

And finally. as for designing - design it yourself. look at your dining area outside.
What do you want to look at while grilling, where will people sit (if it is a bar table style island).
decide what features you need - sink, fridge, ice maker, keg cooler etc..
Use the people at Home Depot, not to sound in any ways wrong with this next statement,
look for advice from older employees, the older employees have most likely been in a trade before and can offer quite a bit of advice on building, plumbing, and electrical work.

Good luck

1. The guage of the stud is probably more important than the size - 20g is better than 25g.
2. Use a composite deck material as a base - do not place steel track/studs against the concrete/stone etc. patio.
3. 16" on center is fine - I did 12" and my island is probably over engineered but I can walk on it!
4. I used Hardibacker cement board - 1/2" on sides and two layers on top. Some will say 1/4" is all you need on the sides but 1/2" is not much more $$ & sturdier.
5. I used self tapping sheet metal screws to attach metal to metal (some will say use rivets).
6. I used the screws Hardibacker suggests for attaching their product to the studs. They will contersink right into the material. Do not use drywall screws.
7. If you are going with stucco then be sure to tape & bed all the joints of the Hardibacker board and use a flexible modified thinset. I put Eldorado stone on mine but still taped & put thinset on the joints.
8. Make sure you are level & plumb! Don't forget to take into account the thickness of your stone/stucco/counter top material when you plan your layout.
9. Plan for vents - upper & lower so you don't end up building a bomb if a gas leak occurs.
10. Have fun and be proud of your accomplisment when done![attachment=1:22w3pbe2]Grill done 1.JPG[/attachment:22w3pbe2][attachment=0:22w3pbe2]Grill done 2.JPG[/attachment:22w3pbe2]

Attachments

• Grill done 1.JPG
    Grill done 1.JPG
    231.4 KB · Views: 482
  • Grill done 2.JPG
    Grill done 2.JPG
    247.2 KB · Views: 460
Great looking. Do you have any pics as it was being built? I wonder if you can put this on wheels and be able to move it around.......

Unfortunately I didn't take pictures as I framed the island. I took one after I had completed the Hardi sheeting & as I was installing the stone. The counter is Bluestone & the sides are Eldorado maufactured stone - limestone pattern & the color is called Castillo. All I put in was a grill & doors below. I may do another on the other side of my patio & make that one a bar area. Wife may kill me before I can get that done though! The grill is a 36" OCI (Outdoor Concepts) and runs on propane. My house is all electric so no NG to hook up to! :( This thing is very heavy & I would not want to move it - you can see in the backside photo of the finished island that I cut out a section of iron fence (pool area) to build this thing between. Yes, I am the goofy looking guy pretending to flip a burger in one of the pictures.[attachment=1:1pwjgfu1]Grill with Hardi done.JPG[/attachment:1pwjgfu1][attachment=0:1pwjgfu1]Grill 75 % done.JPG[/attachment:1pwjgfu1]

Attachments

• Grill with Hardi done.JPG
    Grill with Hardi done.JPG
    232 KB · Views: 443
  • Grill 75 % done.JPG
    Grill 75 % done.JPG
    262 KB · Views: 443
I used aluminum studs and cement backerboard to frame and build my island. Here are a few pics. We did not double up the studs and this thing supported me 270# and holds up a 250# grill as well as 3cm thick slab granite. I used aluminum studs to stop cracking on stucco, since there is less expansion and contraction. Also no need to worry about termites. If you have any questions you can email me directly as [email protected]. There will be more pics to follow.

Attachments

• wiring.jpg
    wiring.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 417
  • framing.jpg
    framing.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 418
  • moreframing.jpg
    moreframing.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 416
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.