Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me identify my filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Help me identify my filter

My pool has a Pentair 4000 series DE filter. Which 4000 series is a mystery. The decal is blistered and flaked, I can find no model number anywhere. I scoured the Pentair website, downloaded all the pdf files that apply, and scrutinized them. Identifying it would be a cakewalk if I had the filter apart - just measure the height of the screens. Or the center rod. But it's not apart. Seems to be working fine, so I'm not going to tear it apart just for that. I'm a mechanic by trade - I've learned and relearned not to disturb seals for no good reason! I just want to know how much DE to add when I backflush, and for that, I need the size.

So I emailed Pentair. Here's the reply:
    MEASURE THE FILTER FROM TOP TO BOTTOM AND YOU CAN GO TO OUR WEBSITE TO GET THE PROPER SIZE OF THE FILTER AND IT WILL TELL YOU HOW MUCH DE YOU NEED.
    No, it won't. I tried that already.

The filter is 49" from the pad to the top of the tank, not including the pressure gauge/air bleed.
    The lid is 16" from the top of the clamp to the top of the tank, not including the gauge.

Does anyone out there have a Pentair 4000 with similar dimensions who can tell me the model number?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help me identify my filter

Richard, I can't help you identify the filter, but I can give you a justification for disassembling the thing. You need to periodically clean and inspect the grids to remove caked DE and other debris as well as to inspect for tears.

I know what you mean about not disturbing seals that aren't leaking. I had a tractor that was bone dry until I had to replace some shifter parts. New seals, old seals, tight bolts, snug bolts, it didn't matter, it always leaked from then on.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I wish I could tell you the model # and thereby size, but knowing the tank size should allow you to figure out which model you have. I suspect that it's probably ~ 60 sf and therefore would take ~ 6 lbs of fresh DE after a complete backwash (please see this thread from Pool School's 'Further Reading' section
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, there's only 4 choices for filter size in this series. The only differences are the height of the screens, the height of the center rod, and the height of the upper housing.

Once its starts warming up, more folks will start reading this forum, and hopefully I'll get an answer. Even if someone tells me they have a model X and it's Y inches tall, that may give me what I need to determine my model.

Some day I'll tear it down to clean it thoroughly and then I can measure the screens, but the pressure hasn't raised more than 1 psi in months and the water is sparkling clean.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I would like to bump this thread, I cannot determine either. I am having the exact same problem as Rich.

Rich did you ever Identify your filter?
    Pool Size - Trying to figure that out. SBMW 2000 (2048 Model) Inground Pool.

6. Back To Top    #6

If you are sure that it is a Pentair filter, then you could look through the manuals and see if you recognize the parts and/or part numbers which are sometimes stamped on the parts.

Pentair Filters
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by manasia
    I would like to bump this thread, I cannot determine either. I am having the exact same problem as Rich.

Nope.

I have it narrowed down to 1 of 4 models - the only differences being the height of the top tank and the filter elements inside. I'll just wait a while. Someone may answer, or I'll just have to open the thing to clean it and measure the screens then.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    If you are sure that it is a Pentair filter, then you could look through the manuals and see if you recognize the parts and/or part numbers which are sometimes stamped on the parts.

Pentair Filters
    Mark thank you for the answer. But their are not any part numbers listed on this device.

This is only device I have ever seen, that has no serial number or part number engraved into the unit. Are all pool filters made like this?

Hey Mike, Yea I see the 4 models listed, and I am not sure which one it is either.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Quote Originally Posted by manasia

Nope.

I have it narrowed down to 1 of 4 models - the only differences being the height of the top tank and the filter elements inside. I'll just wait a while. Someone may answer, or I'll just have to open the thing to clean it and measure the screens then.
    Rich, you can determine the size of the filter by measuring the screens? If that is the case, I have taken those screens out of the filter already. I will measure those tonight, when I get home and post my results here.

10. Back To Top    #10

Not always but sometimes some of the parts INSIDE the filter will have a number stamped on them. They are usually molded plastic parts and the number is part of the mold. If not you will have to go by how the parts look compared to the blow-ups shown in some of the manuals. Also, if you can post a picture of the filter, someone might recognize it.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks Mas. I will post a picture of it tonight.

12. Back To Top    #12

Here are pictures of my filter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. Back To Top    #13

Looks like there's a grid laying on the ground! Does that say anything on it? That should definitely help figure it out.

Is your pump painted? I don't think I've ever seen that before.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    Looks like there's a grid laying on the ground! Does that say anything on it? That should definitely help figure it out.

Is your pump painted? I don't think I've ever seen that before.
    Did you measure the grid? That should be a big help. Also, count how many grids are in there, full size and half size if there are any.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

15. Back To Top    #15

It looks very similar to a SMBW2000 series filter shown here.
    Mark

16. Back To Top    #16

Hey All, thanks for the replies. The grid is 24 inches long, I Forgot to post the results of it their. Mark it does look similar to that SBMW2000, but the lablel is not that big.

17. Back To Top    #17

Hey Melt, the grid has no writing on it at all.

If I can determine what the pump, I may just have to pay someone, when the professionals come out they seem to know what it is

18. Back To Top    #18

I wouldn't be too concerned about the label as your filter is quite old and manufactures do change them sometimes for marketing reasons.

Check the parts inside the manual and see if they don't look the same as what you have. There are very few filters made that look like yours so there is a very good chance the SMBW2000 is the filter you have.

Also, you can email the picture to Pentair for confirmation.
    Mark

19. Back To Top    #19

Hey Mas,

Thank you for the information. I am certain it is the SMBW2000. I just need to measure the depth of it, to determine which one it is. Would I have to order parts for it directly from pentair, or does anyone know of any alternate places to purchase filter parts for?

20. Back To Top    #20

Just google the part numbers and you should come up with a lot of hits. Here are a few stores I have used but others may have suggestions as well.

http://www.poolplaza.com
    http://www.inyopools.com

There are lots of others. Just check back in before purchasing to make sure no one on the forum has had a bad experience with them.
    Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast