Gasket change out problem

Jan 18, 2010
Porter, Texas
In April of 2008 we purchased a HUD foreclosed home that had a pool. We finally moved in to the home May of 2009 and began working on the 'swamp'. The pool had been covered since October of 2006 so cleaning it up needless to say was a lot of fun. The multiport valve on the DE filter just kept leaking worse each week that we have run the pool and it has now reached a point that it is leaking way too much water so I went down to the pool store and purchased a new gasket. Now comes my problem. I am guessing that a combination of sitting dry and the heat from our area sort of 'melted' the gasket into the place where it sits. In trying to remove it from the multiport valve, it acts as if it is 'glued' in and is comming apart in peices. Can any one tell me of an easier way to get it out without coming apart in a lot of peices or damaging the multiport by scraping it out?

Thanks in advance.
:?

Welcome to TFP!!

Odds are that the gasket isn't 'just acting like' it's glued in, it actually IS glued in :evil: :pukel:

While I don't advocate nor like this, a lot of folks feel the need to glue the gasket down :roll:

Use a razor knife and a flathead screwdriver (which fits in the grooves) to liberate ALL the chunks of the old gasket, then install the new one with some silicone or Teflon based lube.

If you need any help on doing this, simply ask :-D

Well, it does need a new 400K BTU heater, it will need repainting in a couple of years, and we did have to replace the DE filter fingers (plastic dry rot they cracked and fell apart), there are a few minor other things like handle nobs and gaskets for the jandy never lube valves and there were a few leaks we had to fix. The major issues we had was the rusting tools, the pennies, the palm sander, the falling apart pool slide, and what my husband called dinosaur eggs which were the 5" oval rocks that line whats left of the flower beds that were in the bottom of the pool. And yes when we bought the house, we put in our 'bid' based on our having to spend at least 6K to get the pool up and running. So far we have only spent about $500. So I don't just consider us lucky, I say that God was good to us!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.