Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I have Taylor K-2005 test kit...

1. Back To Top    #1

I have Taylor K-2005 test kit...

I am just getting started and just registered today. I started reading in pool school and got to where I see one of the recommended pool test kits is the Taylor K-2006. I have the Taylor K-2005 and am wondering if I am okay with that or have to get the K-2006. I am a real newbie with this as our pool person is 2 hours away and I'm going to try to start testing and adding on my own so it won't be so expersive. Thank you so much for such a great site in helping get us "newbies" started. Our indoor pool has been up and running since this past August and the last time it was tested by the pool person was a couple months ago. (I'm sure I will get scolded for that LOL).
    23,000 indoor IG SWG pool-cartridge filter-pebbletech finish

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I have Taylor K-2005 test kit...

Welcome to TFP.

The K2005 is good, but the K2006 is better. The K2006 includes a chlorine test, the FAS-DPD that has a color change to indicate chlorine level rather than the color matching test. The FAS-DPD has a very high test range so it can be used while you are shocking the pool.

But don't worry. You can get the FAS-DPD test to add to your kit at

http://duraleighcon378.corecommerce....-test-p47.html

This is the TFTestKits site and is a reputable place with fast shipping.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you so much, John. I will go back to reading in pool school.
    I have one more question before I go on....
    The salt level is 2600 and my monitor says "Low salt..add salt".
    Should I get the salt level up to where it should be before I go on with the other testing?
    (I'm trying to make sure all is right before my granddaughter has her pool birthday party here next weekend).
    Thanks

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm sorry for not having advice, but... Planning a pool party, in January, with a 23K gallon pool in Northern Idaho is an astonishing concept.
    Geometric 16X36', 16K gal, shotcrete, exposed aggregate plaster, acrylic coated concrete deck/cantilever coping;
    Pentair equipment suite (EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, Intelliflo VS-3050, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG);
    Heliocol solar panels, Rocky's Roller, Blue Diamond robot

5. Back To Top    #5

LOL....I understand your concern of this concept (it's an indoor pool)

6. Back To Top    #6

Salt level should not factor into the testing of the other chemical levels, but you should add the salt so that your SWG is making chlorine.

I have the 2005 test kit and purchased the FAS-DPD items (power and liquid) separately and they fit inside my test kit container. For routine every day use you would not require the FAS-DPD test kit and can use the standard color comparison test that comes with the K-2005. The FAS-DPD can read to the .2ppm and also high chlorine levels, and that comes in handy when troubleshooting.
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks so much, lborne. That answered my question. We'll add the salt and I'll keep reading the Pool School and start testing as soon as I feel comfortable that I know what I'm doing.

8. Back To Top    #8

Just thought I'd add about testing for salt....what are you using? We do recommend the Aquachek salt test strips for testing salt, just an FYI.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

9. Back To Top    #9

cj - welcome to TFP!!

Your kit will serve you well but, as mentioned by John, you can get the FAS-DPD test from TFtestkits to improve it to be equivalent to the 2006 (I did this a couple years ago and the service was great and I really like the upgrade )

Having an indoor pool makes your chem requirements slightly different from an outdoor pool Please ask us if you have any specific questions regarding this
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)