Los Gatos, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
The Pentair check valve after my cartridge filter failed. Now, I had a pool equipment rebuild 3 years ago (completely unnecessary but that's another story) so I know the valve was changed then. I am planning on putting in a new flapper today. When I opened the valve yesterday I found that the spring had rusted so it was not closing all the way anymore. The filter was getting a lot of air in it and this is the culprit.

Is there anything to do to repair this rusting without replacing the flapper? I ask because I now have several of these in my system and I am thinking I'd better maintain them all. This will be expensive.

I am confused as to why this company put in spring-loaded valves because they were supposedly replacing my plumbing to minimize the head through my pipes. Spring-loaded valves add a lot of head by design. I now feel that they should have used a flapper-style check in a vertical orientation. Oh well...hubby says wait a little while and we will redo it all right again. We are saving $$$ but only because they also installed a newer more efficient pump. The plumbing redo was a scam as far as I am now concerned.

Some of the more expensive fapper type check valves are serviceable. They have a lid with a set of screws that can be removed so the flapper and small springs can be replaced. The small springs in these flapper check valves assist in closing the flapper but do not add that much head loss.

However the cheaper axial check valves with the larger springs and even the flapper type with rubber hinges, usually are not serviceable. At least I have never seen one that is.

So I guess the short answer is if you can get to the innerds, then you should be able to repair them. Otherwise, it is best to wait until they fail.

mas985 said:
Some of the more expensive fapper type check valves are serviceable. They have a lid with a set of screws that can be removed so the flapper and small springs can be replaced. The small springs in these flapper check valves assist in closing the flapper but do not add that much head loss.

It is serviceable, but it the replacement part is minimum $36. I have 4 of these valves and I am thinking that I should check them all right now. I am thinking that they probably do introduce a lot of head if the spring is old and rusty and never fully opens or shuts.

What a mistake it was using PoolPower to "optimize" my system 3 years ago. I want to cut it all off and redo it at this point, but that is a whole can of worms. They cut the risers to the pool/spa returns so close to the pad, I'm not really sure how I would even do this. When my Ikeric fails, I'm going in. It is only 3 1/2 years old though so....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.