Multiple-speed pumps and in-floor cleaning systems

Melt In The Sun

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Hi all,
I think my pump is on its last legs. It's a 1hp single-speed Hayward, and I would like to replace it with a 2-speed motor when it finally kicks the bucket.

I have an in-floor cleaning system (mfg by A&A) and am wondering if a 2-speed pump on low would work with it, ie would it have enough "oomph" to pop up the heads. I don't have any way to bypass the in-floor cleaners, so my wall returns are one of the zones.

Does anyone have a setup like this, or experience with the idea? Thanks a bunch.

Danny

I don't think low speed will do it. The added head loss when the floor zones may only partially lift the heads and certainly won't provide the velocity needed for the floors to push the floor debris sufficiently.

A variable speed may reduce your energy costs since they often can push the same amount of water using significantly less electricity. Worth looking at.

Scott

And if you do go with a variable speed model, I'd suggest NOT using the Intelliflo VF in this application. It will change speeds every time your valve redirects water since your pressure side plumbing changes with every different position. The result is a pump that's constantly revving up and down. It gets distracting. A VS model (Intelliflo VS, Matrix, Stealth, etc.) will just maintain the same RPM regardless of hydraulic changes.

spishex said:
And if you do go with a variable speed model, I'd suggest NOT using the Intelliflo VF in this application. It will change speeds every time your valve redirects water since your pressure side plumbing changes with every different position. The result is a pump that's constantly revving up and down. It gets distracting. A VS model (Intelliflo VS, Matrix, Stealth, etc.) will just maintain the same RPM regardless of hydraulic changes.

This simple, straight forward answer is the best, shortest explanation I've seen on VS vs VF pumps. :-D :goodjob: :-D

:wave: Perhaps it, in and of itself, should be a sticky. :wave:

gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.