Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Friend has frozen pool, what's the downside

1. Back To Top    #1
    Pell City, AL

Friend has frozen pool, what's the downside

A friend has a pool at his lakehouse. The pump was on a timer and evidently failed. He went down last weekend to check on things. The pool has about a 2" layer of ice over the whole thing and the pump is frozen. His question is, what should he be cocnerned about? I said my first concern is for the pump and filter. His reply is that they can be replaced. I guess the next concern is frozen pvc piping where the piping comes out of the ground to the pump, the inlets, and the returns. Any other concerns? It sounds like he's less worried about buying a new pump and more worried about some big picture problem the ice would create. Any thoughts?
    The avatar is Spalding from Caddyshack
    18x36 vinyl IG - approximately 24000 gal
    Jandy SHPM1.5 Pump (1.5 HP); Jandy APURE 1400 SWG; Polaris PB4-60Q Booster Pump; Jandy CL340 Cartridge Filter
    (3) 4'x12' Aquatherm solar panels
    Next project, pump sound enclosure and lots of pool landscaping [6tons of stone 8) funnnn]

2. Back To Top    #2

North Central Texas

Re: Friend has frozen pool, what's the downside

Bummer. If it were my pool I would get to the lakehouse ASAP for a stay of a few days and take with me any supplies (if there are no close by supply places) that our experts recommend for doing repairs and/or shutting down the pool. Outdoor extension cords a must. Another would be a small submersible pump to lower water level if needed. With the winter starting off the way it has Big Freezes could be a reoccurring issue this winter. I would certainly consider a partial shut down of pool. That's what I've done to my usually open year round pool. I did this as temporary caution for the Big Freeze but I'm probably going to keep it "partially" closed till March. So much less worry.

Reading some of the latest posts he/she may be okay but he/she won't really know till things start to thaw. Our experts will come along with good suggestions.

If it were my pool and I just couldn't get away for a few days or didn't think I could handle any problems I think I would start looking for someone to hire, with adequate skills, to go and stay there for a few days to handle any problems that might occur during the thawing process.

Good Luck to your friend. Hopefully Luck will come through.

1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine