catastrophic liner failure

DaHole

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 5, 2009
I came home yesterday to find the center of my pool cover about 18" lower then it should be. I walked down and took a look only to find that the pool must have some sore of catastrophic liner failure very low on the pool. The whole outside of the pool on the bottom 3 -5 inches is now solid ice. We had a lot of snow followed by a rain storm a few weeks later so that sort of formed a ring that prevented the leaking water from running away from the outside of the pool wall. Because of all the ice in the pool, I can't tell where the leak is and even if I could find it and get at it, what would I do?

Well folks here is what it looked like until today. The patch I put on developed a weak seal on one spot and then it started to leak again. Well lets just say I got to watch 18,000 gallons exit stage left. The seam failure opened up more as a result of the water pushing the sand away.

I will be going back to the MFG to see if they will cover this, but it sure looks like a seam failure to me.

Attachments

• IMG_8953.JPG
    IMG_8953.JPG
    177 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_8948.JPG
    IMG_8948.JPG
    204.5 KB · Views: 374
Well folks if you need to buy a new liner I can say that the customer service at GLI is top notch. Here is what I got back from them after just two days of reviewing my case.

"I have a new liner shipping out to you this morning. Thanks for your patience in this situation."
Thanks http://www.glipoolproducts.com/

The process was very simple to follow and Ryan at GLI was very nice to work with.

As for the water, I am lucky, I have a natural artesian spring at my house that runs 24x7 on it's own. I just put a 1.5" pipe about 10' down the casing and hook up the pump and go. :cool:

I'm surprised they covered that since it's not really a seam separation (at least from what i can see). It's just a tear that followed the seam since the seam is thicker. It looks like something scraped the liner along the seam ( look at the white line leading up to the tear). Actual seam separations can be identified by 2 flaps of vinyl in the shape of a V that separate from the other part of the vinyl that fit inside that V gap. Regardless other things can happen like when they weld the vinyl it melts too much and gets thin etc.

It would have been hard for something to have scraped it, since the pool had about a foot of ice on the top at the time it let go. My guess is that the cold caused the liner contract just enough to cause a weak spot to show up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.