Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Freeze Protection

1. Back To Top    #1

Freeze Protection

We live in NE TN and decided to keep our pool open year-round. We typically heat the pool up to about 90 degrees on the weekend and swim. The last two weekends have been extremely cold (sometimes in the single digits) and we have not heated up the pool. My freeze protection (which keeps the filter and booster pump running) has been running non-stop for the last 2 weeks. Is that a problem?

Thanks for your help!!
    East TN
    13,000 gal San Juan Fiberglass Pool;SWG; GoldLine Pro Logic Controls
    Hayward Sand Filter; Hayward Max-Flo XL Pump;Polaris 380; Hayward ColorLogic LED
    Raypak Gas Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Coastalish 'down easter'

Re: Freeze Protection

Welcome to TFP!!

The problem would be if the freeze protect stopped running - if that happened, the pipes or equipment could freeze and burst

I'm not sure if record cold temps have been recorded, but this is certainly what statisticians would call an 'outlier' (i.e. a significantly out of the norm cold snap). Lot's of folks in areas similar to you are thinking about closing the pool next year - I'm not convinced that it's necessary but a lot of problems are being reported with unclosed pools this year.

I'm glad your freeze protection is working - even though this may run up your electric bill a little, it's a LOT less expensive than having to fix underground pipes or replace filter equipment.
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Freeze Protection

We live in SW Alabama and our pump/filter/Liquidator has been running for about two weeks! As Ted said, it will only be a problem if the freeze protection stops running. Just be sure to check & clean the skimmer basket every couple of days. Ours fills up every couple of days with the way the wind has been blowing. Looks like I may get to go back to timed running the last of this week.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit