Freeze Protection

Oct 14, 2009
We live in NE TN and decided to keep our pool open year-round. We typically heat the pool up to about 90 degrees on the weekend and swim. The last two weekends have been extremely cold (sometimes in the single digits) and we have not heated up the pool. My freeze protection (which keeps the filter and booster pump running) has been running non-stop for the last 2 weeks. Is that a problem?

Thanks for your help!!
Dory

Welcome to TFP!!

The problem would be if the freeze protect stopped running - if that happened, the pipes or equipment could freeze and burst :(

I'm not sure if record cold temps have been recorded, but this is certainly what statisticians would call an 'outlier' (i.e. a significantly out of the norm cold snap). Lot's of folks in areas similar to you are thinking about closing the pool next year - I'm not convinced that it's necessary but a lot of problems are being reported with unclosed pools this year.

I'm glad your freeze protection is working :-D - even though this may run up your electric bill a little, it's a LOT less expensive than having to fix underground pipes or replace filter equipment.

We live in SW Alabama and our pump/filter/Liquidator has been running for about two weeks! As Ted said, it will only be a problem if the freeze protection stops running. Just be sure to check & clean the skimmer basket every couple of days. Ours fills up every couple of days with the way the wind has been blowing. Looks like I may get to go back to timed running the last of this week. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.