how to refill the pool properly

photo2u said:
Hello friends,
I just emptied and acid wash the pool. I wanted to know what procedure to follow to refill the pool.
Please advice,
George Claremont California

33k gallon plaster in ground
DE filter
1.5 pump
1.5 pipes
Hi George,
Presume the acid wash is complete and the shell was rinsed?

If you have an auto-fill, turn it on. That's a start. But if the GPM from the fill is anything like mine you'd have to wait past August for it to finish! The procedure is pretty straightforward: connect one or more garden hoses to nearby spigots and drop them over the side, on full. When I filled my pool it had just been plastered so I tied old white athletic socks to the ends so the force of the water wouldn't disturb the plaster. In all, I had 3 hoses running, including one from the neighbor's property. Finally, don't go to bed until you've estimated when it fill to mid-tile... you don't want to wake up to a lake!

polyvue said:
photo2u said:
Hello friends,
I just emptied and acid wash the pool. I wanted to know what procedure to follow to refill the pool.
Please advice,
George Claremont California

33k gallon plaster in ground
DE filter
1.5 pump
1.5 pipes
Hi George,
Presume the acid wash is complete and the shell was rinsed?

If you have an auto-fill, turn it on. That's a start. But if the GPM from the fill is anything like mine you'd have to wait past August for it to finish! The procedure is pretty straightforward: connect one or more garden hoses to nearby spigots and drop them over the side, on full. When I filled my pool it had just been plastered so I tied old white athletic socks to the ends so the force of the water wouldn't disturb the plaster. In all, I had 3 hoses running, including one from the neighbor's property. Finally, don't go to bed until you've estimated when it fill to mid-tile... you don't want to wake up to a lake!

Thanks for getting back to me. I am new to pool maintance so all of this is new to me. I wanted to know which chemicals I should add to the water. I was thinking to add some cya,fc and some muratic acid. It this correct? How much of this chemicals should I add considering my 33k Gal. of water pool.

Please advice,
George

photo2u said:
I wanted to know which chemicals I should add to the water. I was thinking to add some cya,fc and some muratic acid. It this correct? How much of this chemicals should I add considering my 33k Gal. of water pool.
There are really two main concepts that apply to swimming pool water: sanitation (usually chlorine) and balance (pH, calcium saturation). The CYA preserves a portion of the chlorine in the water protecting it from destruction by ultra-violet light from the sun, and enough calcium and bicarbonate buffer the pH and prevent your newly acid-washed marcite plaster from dissolving. But a direct answer to your question can be found here Recommended Pool Chemicals and here.

You don't want to add any chemicals (especially muriatic acid) until the pool water has been circulating a few hours and you're able to test it. pH, Calcium Hardness, Total Alkalinity are good to start with. Make adjustments, as needed, to these factors before you add chlorine, CYA or anything else (e.g. salt.) A convenient method in determining how much to add is to use a pool calculator. This one, for example. Pool school has many good articles, almost all of them brief, that will help you get your pool up and running. When you have a moment, browse through them, and feel free to post back with questions.

polyvue said:
photo2u said:
I wanted to know which chemicals I should add to the water. I was thinking to add some cya,fc and some muratic acid. It this correct? How much of this chemicals should I add considering my 33k Gal. of water pool.
There are really two main concepts that apply to swimming pool water: sanitation (usually chlorine) and balance (pH, calcium saturation). The CYA preserves a portion of the chlorine in the water protecting it from destruction by ultra-violet light from the sun, and enough calcium and bicarbonate buffer the pH and prevent your newly acid-washed marcite plaster from dissolving. But a direct answer to your question can be found here Recommended Pool Chemicals and here.

Pool school has other good articles, almost all of them brief, that will help you get your pool up and running. When you have a moment, browse through them, and feel free to post back with questions.

Thanks so much, I will continue reading the school section to beef up my understanding in how to keep my pool in top shape.

Thanks,

George

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.