Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: how to refill the pool properly

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Claremont california
    Posts
    100

    how to refill the pool properly

    Hello friends,
    I just emptied and acid wash the pool. I wanted to know what procedure to follow to refill the pool.
    Please advice,
    George Claremont California

    33k gallon plaster in ground
    DE filter
    1.5 pump
    1.5 pipes
    22k plaster pool kidney shape. Pentair 4000 de series 48 ft. 2 SKIMMERS, 2 drains (pool and spa), 3 returns (2 pool and 1 spa) gas heater and pentair intelliflow , Underwater pentair light.

  2. Back To Top    #2

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Coastalish 'down easter'
    Posts
    4,160

    Re: how to refill the pool properly

    As long as the plaster is fully cured, "let it rip"

    The only time you have to worry about filling is when the plaster is new (and liner pool owners need to worry about it too)

    ASAP, get some water filling
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

    Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

    POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

  3. Back To Top    #3
    polyvue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sacramento, California USA
    Posts
    1,215

    Re: how to refill the pool properly

    Quote Originally Posted by photo2u
    Hello friends,
    I just emptied and acid wash the pool. I wanted to know what procedure to follow to refill the pool.
    Please advice,
    George Claremont California

    33k gallon plaster in ground
    DE filter
    1.5 pump
    1.5 pipes
    Hi George,
    Presume the acid wash is complete and the shell was rinsed?

    If you have an auto-fill, turn it on. That's a start. But if the GPM from the fill is anything like mine you'd have to wait past August for it to finish! The procedure is pretty straightforward: connect one or more garden hoses to nearby spigots and drop them over the side, on full. When I filled my pool it had just been plastered so I tied old white athletic socks to the ends so the force of the water wouldn't disturb the plaster. In all, I had 3 hoses running, including one from the neighbor's property. Finally, don't go to bed until you've estimated when it fill to mid-tile... you don't want to wake up to a lake!
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Claremont california
    Posts
    100

    Re: how to refill the pool properly

    Quote Originally Posted by polyvue
    Quote Originally Posted by photo2u
    Hello friends,
    I just emptied and acid wash the pool. I wanted to know what procedure to follow to refill the pool.
    Please advice,
    George Claremont California

    33k gallon plaster in ground
    DE filter
    1.5 pump
    1.5 pipes
    Hi George,
    Presume the acid wash is complete and the shell was rinsed?

    If you have an auto-fill, turn it on. That's a start. But if the GPM from the fill is anything like mine you'd have to wait past August for it to finish! The procedure is pretty straightforward: connect one or more garden hoses to nearby spigots and drop them over the side, on full. When I filled my pool it had just been plastered so I tied old white athletic socks to the ends so the force of the water wouldn't disturb the plaster. In all, I had 3 hoses running, including one from the neighbor's property. Finally, don't go to bed until you've estimated when it fill to mid-tile... you don't want to wake up to a lake!

    Thanks for getting back to me. I am new to pool maintance so all of this is new to me. I wanted to know which chemicals I should add to the water. I was thinking to add some cya,fc and some muratic acid. It this correct? How much of this chemicals should I add considering my 33k Gal. of water pool.

    Please advice,
    George
    22k plaster pool kidney shape. Pentair 4000 de series 48 ft. 2 SKIMMERS, 2 drains (pool and spa), 3 returns (2 pool and 1 spa) gas heater and pentair intelliflow , Underwater pentair light.

  5. Back To Top    #5
    polyvue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sacramento, California USA
    Posts
    1,215

    Re: how to refill the pool properly

    Quote Originally Posted by photo2u
    I wanted to know which chemicals I should add to the water. I was thinking to add some cya,fc and some muratic acid. It this correct? How much of this chemicals should I add considering my 33k Gal. of water pool.
    There are really two main concepts that apply to swimming pool water: sanitation (usually chlorine) and balance (pH, calcium saturation). The CYA preserves a portion of the chlorine in the water protecting it from destruction by ultra-violet light from the sun, and enough calcium and bicarbonate buffer the pH and prevent your newly acid-washed marcite plaster from dissolving. But a direct answer to your question can be found here Recommended Pool Chemicals and here.

    You don't want to add any chemicals (especially muriatic acid) until the pool water has been circulating a few hours and you're able to test it. pH, Calcium Hardness, Total Alkalinity are good to start with. Make adjustments, as needed, to these factors before you add chlorine, CYA or anything else (e.g. salt.) A convenient method in determining how much to add is to use a pool calculator. This one, for example. Pool school has many good articles, almost all of them brief, that will help you get your pool up and running. When you have a moment, browse through them, and feel free to post back with questions.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Claremont california
    Posts
    100

    Re: how to refill the pool properly

    Quote Originally Posted by polyvue
    Quote Originally Posted by photo2u
    I wanted to know which chemicals I should add to the water. I was thinking to add some cya,fc and some muratic acid. It this correct? How much of this chemicals should I add considering my 33k Gal. of water pool.
    There are really two main concepts that apply to swimming pool water: sanitation (usually chlorine) and balance (pH, calcium saturation). The CYA preserves a portion of the chlorine in the water protecting it from destruction by ultra-violet light from the sun, and enough calcium and bicarbonate buffer the pH and prevent your newly acid-washed marcite plaster from dissolving. But a direct answer to your question can be found here Recommended Pool Chemicals and here.

    Pool school has other good articles, almost all of them brief, that will help you get your pool up and running. When you have a moment, browse through them, and feel free to post back with questions.

    Thanks so much, I will continue reading the school section to beef up my understanding in how to keep my pool in top shape.


    Thanks,

    George
    22k plaster pool kidney shape. Pentair 4000 de series 48 ft. 2 SKIMMERS, 2 drains (pool and spa), 3 returns (2 pool and 1 spa) gas heater and pentair intelliflow , Underwater pentair light.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •