Followup on flow selection

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
In another thread, I asked about the two port skimmer, and got the following answer:
Richard, and Jim, if there are 2 open ports in the bottom of the skimmer and the basket doesn't perform the flow selection function, figure out who made the skimmer and order the proper 'flow selector' from them (for most Hayward skimmers, the part # is SP1082VG).
So, I figured out the maufacturer and model. The exploded diagram is attached. Part 16 is called the "Diverter Plate." I don't have one. To me, it just looks like a cover for the line leading to the bottom of the pool.

What is its purpose? Is there a way to set it to pull from the bottom and not the skimmer?

My digital camera croaked 2 weekends ago, or I'd post a picture of my skimmer. New one has been ordered and supposedly shipped...

Attachments

• skimmer.gif
    skimmer.gif
    31 KB · Views: 204
One hole in the bottom of your skimmer leads to your main drain, the other to your pump. When you connect a vacuum it's easier for the pump to pull water from the main drain pipe than from your vacuum hose, so you get no suction. This diverter plate is used to cover over the main drain line while you vac, forcing the pump to pull water through the vacuum hose.

spishex said:
One hole in the bottom of your skimmer leads to your main drain, the other to your pump. When you connect a vacuum it's easier for the pump to pull water from the main drain pipe than from your vacuum hose, so you get no suction. This diverter plate is used to cover over the main drain line while you vac, forcing the pump to pull water through the vacuum hose.
Thanks for the speedy reply. Looks like there's no easy way to get 100% through the drain. :(

Richard320 said:
Thanks for the speedy reply. Looks like there's no easy way to get 100% through the drain. :(

Somebody (sorry I can't remember who it was) has suggested in the past to make a wide "U" from PVC and two elbows to fit into the holes. It's suction on both sides, so it should stay in place as long as the pump is on. You could drill holes in the PVC to allow whatever amount of skimmer suction you wanted.

The one I was talking about has a butterfly valve so you can regulate how much water is being pulled from the drain line (from ~ 0 to ~ 100%). Proper vacuuming usually requires less than 100% of the suction going through the vac line.

John, the trouble with what you suggest (read about) is sealing the pipes and having it low enough to still allow the basket to properly seat in the skimmer. Neither of these is overly difficult to overcome, usually. :) The sealing isn't an issue unless one wants to draw through the drain and have no skimming action. If I wanted to temporarily install one of these, I'd use 2 slip X socket 'street' 90*s and dry fit a small stub of pipe between them (I can give more specifics for any given set-up - if basket depth allowed, I'd use couplings to allow flow adjustment)

Richard, good luck with this, we're here to advise as needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.