Wrinkles in liner and uneven bottom

Jul 20, 2007
We have an above ground pool installed maybe 5-6 years ago (we just bought the house). The liner is very wrinkled on the bottom and the bottom feels very uneven, like when you walk you can feel dips in the ground, some small (like width of finger) some larger (like heel of your foot). Do we need to be replacing the liner soon ie this swimming season or can we wait til next swimming season? and with all the dips, will they need to level the ground when we reinstall liner? is that expensive?

Anjellenee - I've always had the attitude that something's not a problem until it's a problem. We have no problem with out bottom being bumpy with a few creases here and there. Do we wish it was smooth? Sure, but it's not causing anyone to not enjoy the pool. We didn't know any better so when we were filling the pool, I was in there trying to smooth it out as it filled. Left a LOT of footprints. My father-in-law's pool is a smooth as a baby's behind. From what I understand you just smooth out the sand with a rake, then move to a broom, and then you get out, sweep away all remains of bumps from your exit and it's smooth.

I can't wait till we wear out this liner and get the next one, but this is only our second season and we'll probably break all records for the longest lived liner in history. I also can't wait to wear out our 1.5hp pump so I can get a sweet 2 speed, but then again, I'll probably be in my 80s.

Shelly, I like the cut of your jib! :-D - you've got the right attitude!
Anjellenee - while the wrinkles and dips are causing a little extra stress on the liner, it's not a huge problem, unless you just can't stand it. I'd imagine that the liner will see you through at least this season and may well be good for many more. The uneven floor is a result of either an improperly prepared floor in the first place or water washing under the pool or moles burrowing under the pool. The wrinkles may be the result of the liner not being properly installed to begin with or tri-chlor pucks sitting on the bottom.
When you decide that you NEED a new liner (or the liner fails and makes that decision for you), either get a crew that knows what they're doing or ask here and the nice folks will 'talk you through' a liner replacement and floor preparation!

In the meantime, just enjoy that pool while you can! Winter is coming on faster than any of us cares to realize! Welcome to this forum! If you have any other questions or problems, there will be someone here to help you!!

Shelley
You sound like me. If its not a problem, then I'm not worried. I just read a few times that wrinkles are indication taht liner will start to become brittle and weak lalala. Then with the bumps I didnt know if maybe water was leaking at those points and causing bumps. Learning the ins and outs of this pool have been quite the challenge but before the summer's over I think I'll be an expert. I've finally got the algae under control...I think...:)

anjellenee said:
We have an above ground pool installed maybe 5-6 years ago (we just bought the house). The liner is very wrinkled on the bottom and the bottom feels very uneven, like when you walk you can feel dips in the ground, some small (like width of finger) some larger (like heel of your foot). Do we need to be replacing the liner soon ie this swimming season or can we wait til next swimming season? and with all the dips, will they need to level the ground when we reinstall liner? is that expensive?

Hi Anjellenee,

Look at my similar problem here

http://www.troublefreepool.com/viewtopic.php?t=2390

I was wondering if what you call wrinkles were like mine (look at my pictures)? In my case, it looks like little valleys (canyons :?) in the sand and the liner is very tight in the valley. You cannot pinch the liner. Are yours like that too?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.