Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Strictly one drop at a time?

1. Back To Top    #1

Strictly one drop at a time?

Say I have tests that I know are going to be in the upper ranges. When I start adding and counting reagent drops, can I start off with 2-3 at a time and then swirl? Or would this chemically affect the endpoint somehow.

Common sense says i'm just being anal, but just wanted to make sure. I also use the 10mL shortcut method with the TA and CH tests.
    22,000 gal in-ground, 3-8ft
    Cartridge filter
    Pebble Tec resurfaced
    Polaris 360

2. Back To Top    #2

Carrollton, TX
    If I know that my FC is 4 or over, I always add 3 or 4 drops initially then swirl between drops after that. Tried it both ways and the final value is the same.
    7000 gallon IG freeform w/ 6 ft. spa, 21 ft weeping wall, Hayward SP4020NS Northstar pump, Colorlogic LED’s, DE6020 filter and H400IDL2 400,000btu heater. Aqua logic 8 zone controller with Aqua Rite salt chlorine generator, Stonescapes pebble finish – Aqua Blue and flagstone coping, stamped/stained concrete deck

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida
    Yeah, time to fess up....I shortcut the drops method frequently. If I know I'm 100 plus on CH, I'll rapidfire 10 drops, swirl, and go from there. Same with Free Chlorine and Alk. Lazy and careless, I know, and I got burned twice on Free chlorine when my initial rapid fire drops cleared the solution and I had to do it over again.

I'm pretty sure the total time I saved was easily wiped out by having to repeat the's just in my nature to sometimes take shortcuts when I know I shouldn't.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I use multiple drops on the ones that I know are higher ranges.

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

5. Back To Top    #5
    on the alkaliinity test it depends on how much you aerate it when you swirl. that could affect it

6. Back To Top    #6

Fayetteville, Arkansas
    Guilty of multiple drops too . . . when adding drops for the FC test, I'll add 'em up as I go, i.e., .2,.4,.6,.8, 1.0, 1.2, etc.
    Same for the .5 method too.
    20x40 30,000 gal IG Liner, Pentair II Sand

7. Back To Top    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by poolio
    on the alkaliinity test it depends on how much you aerate it when you swirl. that could affect it
    Since the akalinity test is only measuring the carbonates and bicarbonates in the water and NOT the carbonic acid aeration will not have any effect on the outcome of the test.