Major Disaster of the weekend

Sep 25, 2009
First major disaster... over the weekend the temps have dropped way below freezing and stayed there. Now, although I'm new to pool ownership; i understand common physicial science...water freezes = bad news for pipes.

The pool is set to circulate bypassing the heater now because we are not using it... apparently sometime Sunday morning the joint valve where water returns from the heater froze and pulled the whole assembly with it. PB is working on it today hopefully he can fix it without too much damage $$$ but the verdict is still out. Plus I will not be able to refill and test it for a week or more so that the system could be tested... so its goodnight pool for the remainder of the winter. PB is closing it for me and hopefully that will prevent any further damage.

The whole think would have likely been prevented if I had circulated the water through the heater all along... oh well..chock it up to things I wish I would have known. Its off the Lowes now buy insulating tape and foam for the fountain and above ground pipes .

Water that does not move will freeze when temps are below the pool's freezing point. Please note I didn't specify 32 degrees because many have salt, which lowers it's freezing temp. Pure water freezes at 32. Adding things to water may cause it to have a higher or lower freeze point.

Simply turning off the system is not a solution. There are other things that should be done first.

Scott

Well put, Scott :goodjob:

Chris, the 'freeze point' depends on what chems are in the water, but the starting point is 32* and most of what's in pool water only makes a negligible difference [I'm going on memory of what I've read here]

As Scott said, if you plan on turning the system off for the winter, you should take precautions to protect the plumbing and equipment - a link to the closing thread is found in my sig.

We are always willing to help you with both the decision to winterize the pool and how to do it :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.