Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School
Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Aquarite Not generating - lights not on

Aquarite Not generating - lights not on

Hi to all

My Aquarite is now in its 5th year of use. It is on its 2nd computer board and 2nd fuel cell. The fuel cell was replaced over the summer after it kept reading very low for the salt - and putting in a new one fixed it.

Just came back from a trip and the pool is green. Apparently there is no chlorine.

The "no flow" light comes on then goes off. The generator life goes on for 30 seconds and goes off and then there are no lights at all.

The amps are reading 0 and the voltage is low at 14.4.

I have read online from others who have had this and they have replaced the board. But before I go and buy one I want to see if anyone else has had this problem.

We tested the fuse and it is fine. We also tested the flow sensor with a phone line and it is not that. The thermistor does not look cooked. The board is just about 1.5 years old - it was replaced in the summer of 2008 and it was under warranty.

If you have any advice or experience please help.

I
    SWG - AquaRite
    Dolphin Diagnostic Robot

"Having a pool reminds me of having an aquarium when I was a girl - I love taking care of it and testing it - just don't have fish this time around!"

Re: Aquarite Not generating - lights not on

Quote Originally Posted by west1745
    My Aquarite is now in its 5th year of use. It is on its 2nd computer board and 2nd fuel cell. The fuel cell was replaced over the summer after it kept reading very low for the salt - and putting in a new one fixed it.

Just came back from a trip and the pool is green. Apparently there is no chlorine.

The "no flow" light comes on then goes off. The generator life goes on for 30 seconds and goes off and then there are no lights at all.

The amps are reading 0 and the voltage is low at 14.4.

I have read online from others who have had this and they have replaced the board. But before I go and buy one I want to see if anyone else has had this problem.

We tested the fuse and it is fine. We also tested the flow sensor with a phone line and it is not that. The thermistor does not look cooked. The board is just about 1.5 years old - it was replaced in the summer of 2008 and it was under warranty.
    You didn't say which model - is this an Aqua Rite standard? Mine is a bit different, but manuals for all of the models are available at the Hayward site. As you know, the problem could turn out to be something as trivial as a loose connection or a repeat of your past troubles - a second flawed circuit board, for example. It sounds like you've already done more than a bit of troubleshooting. But hopefully you’ll find one or two things in the list below that you hadn’t considered. Would recommend the following.

Prepare to add liquid chlorine to pool (don’t wait!)

Check water temperature – normal operation > 50 degrees F.
    Check salt level - normal range ~2400–3500 ppm
    Inspect salt cell plates – clean with acid dilution if calcium deposits evident
    Verify water balance: pH, Calcium Hardness, Alkalinity -- adjust to Recommended Levels
    Clean cell with diluted muriatic acid if any of the following are true:
    • pH > 8.0
      Calcium Hardness > 450
      Saturation Index > .5

Check proper wiring configuration for specific cell model
    Check line power
    Check faulty indicator light
    Check fuse
    Cycle through controller diagnostics (note values)
    Verify software revision
    Visually inspect circuit board mounts and connections (flow & temp sensors; cell)
    Check continuity/resistance, voltages on board electronics, resistors, capacitors, varistors
    Check transformer
    Check thermistor sensor
    Check flow switch sensor for current (with pump running); remove & reinsert tee
    Verify strong flow out of pool returns

If unsuccessful, consider swapping out less expensive parts - flow sensor etc before replacing the board and/or cell once again.

Common Problems and Solutions

1. "Power" LED not on
    Check to make sure either 120VAC or 240VAC input power is connected to the proper
    screw terminals at the Aqua Rite control. Verify input voltage with a voltmeter. If there
    is input power, the fuse may have blown. The Aqua Rite is protected by a 20 amp mini
    ATO fuse located on the circuit board above the cell connector.

2. "Generating" LED flashing
    The temperature of the pool water is too high or low to operate. You can override this by
    switching the main switch to SUPER CHLORINATE. The Aqua Rite will run at maximum output for the remainder of the current pump cycle or 24 hours, whichever comes first.

3. "No Flow" LED illuminated
    The Aqua Rite has sensed a no flow condition and has stopped generating chlorine.
    Check that the flow switch is plugged into the connector on the bottom of the control
    unit and that the wire is not cut or damaged. Make sure you have at least 12" of straight
    pipe before the flow switch. If there is adequate flow and the LED is still on, check that
    the arrows on the flow switch (on top of hex) are pointing in the direction of flow.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

So, West, what did you end up finding? Did you replace the main board again? I am having the same problem. Thanks!
    Peggy
    Cary, NC

25,000 gal
    SWG Aqua Rite T-Cell
    IG plaster
    Pentair 1.5 Whisper Flo Pump
    Stay Rite Filter System 3 Mod Media 300 sq. ft
    Heater- Stay Rite Max E-therm 400K
    Polaris 3/4 hp

I ended up replacing the board - but it was the black round thing that got burned out - you can resolder a new one - in my case I am keeping the old board and repairing it for the next time. I noticed that they put metal around the black thing. Sorry - don't know the name of the black thing but it is round and the size of a quarter.
    SWG - AquaRite
    Dolphin Diagnostic Robot

"Having a pool reminds me of having an aquarium when I was a girl - I love taking care of it and testing it - just don't have fish this time around!"

Did you replace the board yourself or have it done "professionally"? I need to make a decision asap as to whether we can diy or not. Thanks!!
    Peggy
    Cary, NC

25,000 gal
    SWG Aqua Rite T-Cell
    IG plaster
    Polaris 3/4 hp

West, you are my hero! Just checked for the "black thing" and sure enough...it is cracked and it looks like burn marks around it! I am ordering replacement part from Digi-Key Corp., the part# is 570-1062-ND, for 2.42 each. I am ordering two! Thank you!!

Peggy
    Peggy
    Cary, NC

25,000 gal
    SWG Aqua Rite T-Cell
    IG plaster
    Polaris 3/4 hp

My pcb is also bad. The "black round thing" looks fine, not cracked and no burn marks. Does it make sense to replace this first, before buying a new board? Or, if it was the problem, is it always cracked and burned? Has anyone ever replaced an apparantly normal one, and that fixed the problem?
    30,000 galllon, inground, vinyl liner, L-shaped pool
    1.5 hp pump, sand filter, heater, run pump 24/7
    Aquarite salt system
    St. Louis, MO, USA

I had the same problem as others here: green pool, no power light or power light on but very low voltage, replaced fuse, etc. Nothing helped. I did as ykcpeggy suggested and purchased two resistors from DigiKey. They came in a couple of days. My old resistor did not look bad until I unsoldered it and turned it over. Big crack down the back of it. I am no electronic repairman, but I unsoldered the old resistor, soldered in a new one, and my AquaRite is generating again! Amazon has an entire board for about $250 and my pool company wanted $683 (!) to replace the entire board and display unit and wall box! Thanks to all for sharing.
    35000 gallon plaster, 1.5HP hayward pump, dual sand filters (old tagelus top mount and newer hayward side mount)

The black component about the size of a quarter is a current limiter. Mine was not cracked or broken, but when I touched it, it crumbled. Ordered new component from DigiKey soldered in and now back in business for about 4 bucks with shipping. I am now considering venting the aquarite box due to tremendous heat build up. Even running at 50% you can feel tremendous heat on the faceplate. This may be leading to the demise of the current limiter which by design runs hot anyway . .Maybe releasing some of the 'sealed in' heat will extend the life of the limiter as well as other components. Has anyone already vented their box? Any suggestions?

Senior Member In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Bistro
    The black component about the size of a quarter is a current limiter. Mine was not cracked or broken, but when I touched it, it crumbled. Ordered new component from DigiKey soldered in and now back in business for about 4 bucks with shipping. I am now considering venting the aquarite box due to tremendous heat build up. Even running at 50% you can feel tremendous heat on the faceplate. This may be leading to the demise of the current limiter which by design runs hot anyway . .Maybe releasing some of the 'sealed in' heat will extend the life of the limiter as well as other components. Has anyone already vented their box? Any suggestions?
    Just be careful with the size and the placement of the holes, as mice, bugs, rain, etc. like to get in there and do their own damage.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

Speaking of the component, can be ordered from Digikey.com as component 570-1062-ND for $2.64, ,BUT, when I ordered one they were on a 30 day back order and my pool was turning yellow, so ordered in stock 570-1019-ND. The 1062 limiter has a tolerance of +-15% , ,the 1019 has a tolerance of +-25%. Seems to be working fine.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHTCAP
    My pcb is also bad. The "black round thing" looks fine, not cracked and no burn marks. Does it make sense to replace this first, before buying a new board? Or, if it was the problem, is it always cracked and burned? Has anyone ever replaced an apparantly normal one, and that fixed the problem?
    Thanks to the guys here I just fixed my system with the same repair. The current limiter looked fine. I pulled the board and the back side under the limiter was slightly brown. I used a soldering iron to pull the old one and install the new one with no issues. The old part had no visual damage or difference form the new one, but was bad.

I want to thank all of you for your info, support and knowledge. Not only did you guys save me alot of cash but the wife thinks I am a genius.

TFP comes through once again! Local shop wanted $350 to replace the board...$8 for the resistor from digikey, 5 minutes with the soldering iron, and I'm back in business. I can't see how this is anything other than planned failure on the part of the designer.
    Kidney pool with liner, hayward(dead) 1hp super pump, hayward sand filter, goldline SWG, polaris cleaner. No idea on volume.

I had the exact same problem; "The "no flow" light comes on then goes off. The generator life goes on for 30 seconds and goes off and then there are no lights at all.
    The amps are reading 0 and the voltage is low at 14.4."
    Great forum, great info. Count me among the folks enjoying the inexpensive, quick, and easy fix by replacing the Current Limiter ordered from Digi-Key.

moc, welcome to TFP!
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Hey from Georgia:

Not much to add, but since I have a problem and just joined this August Forum, I thought I would throw my nickel problem in.

Opened pool 1st April, done by the local pool service company.
    They added all the stuff they normally do and we waited a week before taking the urine sample in.
    Got the report, purchased what we did not already have put it in the pool and cranked everything up two days ago.

Display says "No Flow"

Display readings are:
    Temp: 74
    Volts: 31.7
    Current: 0
    Output: 79
    Salt: 0
    AL-0
    RL 4.0

Based on information from this forum, a few other tips forums and the owner's manual, did the following.

Rebooted the cell twice.
    Acid cleaned the cell twice.
    Made darn sure there were no obstructions in the skimmer baskets, the pump basket and backwashed/rinsed the sand filter twice.

Didn't change a thing on the readings.

From there on, I am a complete klutz when it comes to electrical things.

I have alerted my long time electrical whiz handyman that we may need his help (I will not name the pool service company I use, but they are less than helpful and generally want to replace whole components at severall hundred bucks a pop) and if anyone has any input as to what he should look for it would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, nice bunch of folks here. I belong to a number of vehicle enthusiast forums and many, many history forums and it is nice to see people being civil and really trying to help rather than making fun of newbies or klutzes.
    Cheers
    Bill
    40K gallon vinyl inground
    Aquarite salt system (Installed 0409)
    Pentair Wisperflo 1.5 hp pump
    Ecojet Plus Pool Cleaner
    Sand Filter
    2 top skimmers-2 bottom suckers

Bill

Check the flow switch and the cable connecting the controller to the flow switch.
    Unscrew the flow switch from the port and temporarily plug the port. Turn on the pump and manually activate the flow switch to determine if the switch is faulty. Note the direction of the arrow on the flow switch so you can replace it correctly.
    poolschoolgrad

20x40 free-form IG vinyl, 1hp Hayward superpump, Hayward pro grid DE filter, Raypak heatpump, Goldline Aquarite SWCG, Polaris 280 with booster, and tested using a Taylor K2006.

Hi PSG:

Sorry for the tardy reply and thanks for the tip.

Did as you said (I think). Unscrewed the flow switch, plugged the hole with a cork and tried to figure out how to turn on the flow switch. All it is is a sort of probe with no moving parts (switch) that I could find. Anyway, turned the unit back on with the plug in place and nothing changed.

Removed the plug and replaced the switch as you said to do and still nothing.

My electrical guy is supposed to drop by Saturday and I will have him check some of the other stuff mentioned above as well as run an electrical check on the switch.

Bill
    Ecojet Plus Pool Cleaner
    Sand Filter

The probe should have a metal tab on the side.
    Here is a picture of a new one
    http://www.westsidewholesale.com/flow-s ... cable.html
    poolschoolgrad

20x40 free-form IG vinyl, 1hp Hayward superpump, Hayward pro grid DE filter, Raypak heatpump, Goldline Aquarite SWCG, Polaris 280 with booster, and tested using a Taylor K2006.

Hi PSG:

Very interesting.........

The thing I unscrewed has the "probe" but not the switch on the side as shown in your attachment.
    I am going to try to download whatever I can from the aquarite site in terms of hardware to see if something is missing from my probe.

Edit: There is no switch on the side of the probe thingie, I just took it apart again. The aquarite site shows the same photo yours does and it just is not there.

Fudge..........

Again, thanks for your help.
    Bill
    Ecojet Plus Pool Cleaner
    Sand Filter