Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about Heat Pump Siphon

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about Heat Pump Siphon

Hi all,

Yesterday we were making some tests on the CL pool (signature) trying to heat it up for today.. Started 5 pm yesterday.

Pool water temperature is these days around 20ÂșC (i think it is like 68ÂșF) so it's cold compared to the 24ÂșC+ we usually have after March-April. We left the heat pump running since 5 pm yesterday.

Today we checked, and noticed that the pool increased to 21ÂșC only. We noticed that this new pool, has only one jet from where the "warm" water comes out. (not really warm no matter we set up the heat pump to it's max. temp. capacity since yesterday).

Also we are not sure if the pool pump should be running 24/7 in order to make the pool heat up properly? Or just by running the heat pump alone is enough?

Tell you later why of this questions,

Wish you all a great New Year's Eve dinner, party, night, with your beloved ones...
    In charge of some SWG and Bleach pools... still a newbie..

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about Heat Pump Siphon

I think you meant to post in another section since this is not a spa or hot tub. Anyway, heat pumps heat rather slowly so would usually be run 24/7. The pool pump could help circulate the water better than using the heat pump alone and I assume the heat pump does some circulation as well (just not as much). A pool cover would help retain heat at night (and on cloudy days) so would make the pool heat up more quickly.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

My Heat Syphon Heat Pump is set to come on when the pump is running. I would suggest checking to see when you heat pump comes on. You will have to set the pool pump to 24hrs. When the set temp is reached the pump will shut off. It works like your airconditioner in your house. Hope I have explained correctly
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

4. Back To Top    #4

The pool pump has to be running for the heat pump to operate. The "pump" in heat pump refers to its ability to "pump" heat from the air to the water. They do not circulate water. You can refer to the literature that came with it to determine the heat curve for that particular unit. The air temp will determine how efficient it is. The ratings on most heat pumps in terms of BTU output is based on 80 degree air temp and 80% humidity (someone correct the numbers if I'm wrong). Lower air temp and humidity will change the curve. As someone above said, heat pumps should run 24/7 until the desired temp is reached. Turning them on and off before the desired water temp is reached is counter productive. They are slower to heat than than gas, but MUCH cheaper to operate. The best way to run one is to maintain the temperature all the time rather than running it on the weekends or when you want to swim. The time (and cost) it takes to reach say 82 degrees from 70 degree water is more than the minimal amount it takes to maintain 80 degree water 24/7.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

Many thanks for your great comments. Exactly what I needed to read to confirm some doubts I have.

Sorry if I posted here,

I won't post again on this matter here. Is it possible to close or move the thread to where it belongs maybe?

Your comments have helped much as usual .

Have a great N-Y-E's!!

And again, thanks to you all!
    In charge of some SWG and Bleach pools... still a newbie..