Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: How Much Salt?

How Much Salt?

I am adding salt to my pool/spa combo for the first time today. I purchased 8 40lb bags to start with. I have roughly a 15000 gallon inground pool with in Intellichlor IC20 chlorinator. I am running a pentair intelliflo pump with a pentair clean and clear plus 425sq ft filter.

I would like to know how many bags of salt to initially deposit into the pool? I would assume that I would want that number to be what I would need to fall a little short of the desired ppm's. Then add it little at a time to get it tweaked in.

Thanks
    Joe
    15000 gallon In Ground Pool / Spa combo, Pebbletec finish, Pentair Easy Touch automation, Pentair Intelliflo, Pentair Intellichlor generator, Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 425sqft cartridge filter, Solar Heat & Rheem Heat Pump, Pentair Great White pool cleaner.

Re: How Much Salt?

It depends on your starting point. If you used liquid chlorine in the past, you will already have some salt in the water. Your target is about 3200. If you started at 0ppm, you would need about 450 to 500 lbs. to get there.

Scott
    PoolGuyNJ
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

Joe, welcome to TFP!!

8 40 lb bags should get you to ~2540 ppm (this assumes that you had 0 ppm salt to begin with)
    Your unit might well generate at your current level, but 2 more bags would have taken a 15,000 gal pool to 3200ppm

Hope you have no troubles with the system but, if you do, we're here to help
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

Thanks for the welcome...I hope I am trouble free too...

During the first 30 days I have added 2 gallons of Muratic acid along with 4 bags of shock. I went ahead and plugged my IC20 Chlorinator into the automation system. I have added 4 bags of salt so far. I will check the indicator tomorrow and if it is still low I will add some more salt. I might have to go buy a few more bags since I only purchased 320lbs.

Joe
    15000 gallon In Ground Pool / Spa combo, Pebbletec finish, Pentair Easy Touch automation, Pentair Intelliflo, Pentair Intellichlor generator, Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 425sqft cartridge filter, Solar Heat & Rheem Heat Pump, Pentair Great White pool cleaner.

I just added 2 more bags for a total so far of 6 bags. I will check it in the morning.

Joe welcome to TFP where you will find all kinds of people willing to help you with your pool and outdoor grilling needs Please post a full set of Chemistry and we will be able to better help you. I like using the TF-100 test kit and this does everything except testing for salt. You can use salt test stipps if necessary.
    5,775 gal, IG free form, Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish, 2 swim out benches, Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues, StaRite Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter replaced with Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15, Polaris 360, Pentair 300w Light upgraded to Pentair IntelliBrite (OMG what a huge difference) , Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers, solar cover, TF-100 test kit, Pentair Deck Jet, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer (Makes testing a breeze), Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Margarita Concoction Machine,
    Pics of our Spool ( Social Pool) being built Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

I have not purchased a test kit as of now. I just take a sample to the pool store that is very close to me.

Quote Originally Posted by joeg2246
    I have not purchased a test kit as of now. I just take a sample to the pool store that is very close to me.
    Quite understandable... even convenient. But please consider Brentr's good advice for the spring. A pool store will not likely be able to offer you immediate and thorough feedback on your pool's chemistry and a little reading here will at some point convince you that pool maintenance becomes easier when you have your own test kit. I began with a very cheap (and not very useful) kit given me by my pool builder at opening, but now use a Taylor K-2006.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

Well the 8 bags of salt I initially added was almost the perfect amount. I went and got 2 more bags and added 1/2 of a bag and then later the other half of that bag and the chlorinator indicator went green. I then took another sample to the pool store and got the results. Everything looks good for now. I would imagine I will get the water tested about 2 times weekly to ensure I keep up with the acid demand. I am going to putt pictures up now. Check them out please and any ideas would be helpful...!

What is the current salt level?

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

Had it tested the day after I added the ninth bag and it was 3400 ppm on the nose.

Joe

Rats, waste was right! I over estimated.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    Rats, waste was right!
    It happens sometimes

Merry X-mas to all who believe in Santa
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)