Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dumbest thing I've ever seen (well, close)...

1. Back To Top    #1

Dumbest thing I've ever seen (well, close)...

Customer has a Jandy Stealth 2.0 - motor went out this week. So he decides to upgrade to the Stealth 2.0-2speed. I get it, have is set-up on my bench next to the original pump. Excellent! The ports line-up exactly (for those that aren't familiar, this pump has these really cool fittings on it that make pulling the pump a breeze).

Then, I'll be d***ed.

The threads are different on the pumps ports - same location, same style fitting, different thread.

Now how stupid is that? I've got to cut-up the old PVC anyway (when it should have been a direct drop-in). And, there's almost NO slack in the older PVC, so I may be looking at a significant re-plumb of the pad.

Sorry, needed to Rant - Jandy wasn't any help either.
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    8, 4x12 Solar Panels on the roof of the pool-house (~12' up)
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dumbest thing I've ever seen (well, close)...

I believe one has a 2 to 2-1/2" capable union end and the other has a 2-1/2 to 3" capable union end.

Scott
    PoolGuyNJ
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    I believe one has a 2 to 2-1/2" capable union end and the other has a 2-1/2 to 3" capable union end.

Scott
    PoolGuyNJ

The port sizes are identical and in the same exact spot - they just changed threads (to the "Versa-thread").
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)

4. Back To Top    #4

Swap pump heads
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, I got the new pump in. It was tricky - there was no margin for error, and I had to get a "PVC Extender", which is basically a coupler that fits on the outside of a normal PVC fitting.

I couldn't use the old pump head/swap, as the Jandy design had changed significantly (4, 1/2" bolts to 6, 9/16" bolts) - and swapping the motor would have required new seals/bushings at the impeller.

Al in all, a job well done (but took 2x longer than I had planned/quoted - lesson learned...).

- Jeff