Skimmers

This is probably a dumb question, but I'm going to ask anyway. Sort of a multi-part question.

After lowering the main pool water level, do you lower the water level in the skimmers or just put in a Gizmo (or similar) and forget about it all winter? (I live in North AL -- I'm concerned with water in the skimmer freezing, but not the deeper pipes. Shallow frost line.) Best I can tell, the top of the Gizmo will be below the top of the water in the skimmer if I don't lower the skimmer water level. The Gizmo screws into the very bottom of the skimmer, and I'm guessing my skimmer is 14-16" deep at that point. The other option would be to use a 2-liter bottle partially filled with sand, and I think I could sit it on the "ledge" that coincides with where the top of the skimmer baskets normally are. Not sure there's enough room on that ledge though.

I know this isn't that difficult! I'm just overly concerned since this is my first pool and my first pool closing.

Thanks,
Phillip

Up here, since you have to do the plumbing, the skimmer is emptied then. I use a gizmo, wedge an empty antifreeze jug in the skimmer opening, and then pack the skimmer full of closed cell foam. The foam is the same stuff pool noodles are made of.

Phillip, we talked about a full closing before :cool: The skimmer shouldn't have any water in it, nor should the pipe - I advised (in a round about way) blowing and plugging the lines :roll:

You don't have the correct GizzmoTM - yours is for an AG pool and CAN NOT! do it's job!!

If you want to use foam noodles, as per John, that's fine. :)

(I'll be leaving for the weekend tomorrow @ 3AM :pukel: to go see some family I won't see on X-mas - I'll be back Monday if you have questions)

In our previous discussion, I was only talking about that one specific line in the picture. In North AL, I really don't think I need to go to the trouble of clearing all of the lines. I don't know anyone else around here who does that.

I haven't bought a Gizzmo. I was just speculating based on what I remembered from seeing one in the store.

I like the idea of using noodle material. That seems easier and more fool-proof than using a 2-liter bottle. John mentioned using a Gizzmo also, but just to be clear, the noodle material would be sufficient, correct? Are you using the Gizzmo to plug the hole so that the pipes don't get rainwater in them?

Along these lines, another question has crossed my mind. If I leave open the skimmers valve as I'm lowering the pool water level, won't the pump suck out most of the water in the skimmers and the skimmer plumbing (once the pool level gets below the skimmer window)? I have two 2" pipes that T together just before hitting the pump inlet. One pipe is for both main drains, and the other pipe is for both skimmers. Each of these pipes has a ball valve.

Thanks.

PhillipH said:
If I leave open the skimmers valve as I'm lowering the pool water level, won't the pump suck out most of the water in the skimmers and the skimmer plumbing (once the pool level gets below the skimmer window)? I have two 2" pipes that T together just before hitting the pump inlet. One pipe is for both main drains, and the other pipe is for both skimmers. Each of these pipes has a ball valve.
If I understand this right, you're suggesting that your main pump would be used to draw most of the water from your skimmer but in order to be effective it would have to have prime during that draw, which means water in the pipe. So, I don't think this would work well... best to blow it out with air compressor or shop vac.

Phillip, I was talking about the other thread we'd shared http://www.troublefreepool.com/help-with-clearing-water-from-my-pipes-t18094.html :wink:

It's your pool and, therefore, your choice - but I don't think that just drawing as much as yiou can via the pump is enough to properly protect your skimmer lines :(

Of course, it all depends on your plumbing and the depth (below frostline or not) of the pipes.

I'm more than willing to give my take on all this, but need to know how your pool is plumbed.

I always want your full opinion. Like you said, I can do what I want, but I definitely want as much advice as possible before deciding.

I closed down this weekend. The pump did indeed suck the skimmer lines dry. I obviously can't verify "how dry", but I can look down the hole in the skimmer and not see water for a long way (a few feet at least). This should be way below the frost line. We really don't even have a frost line around here. Our bigger problem is more likely to be very cold temps for a short duration instead of sub-freezing for weeks.

I'm about to post another msg regarding my salt cell in a more appropriate forum.

Thanks again,
Phillip

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.