Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leaves Leaves and More Leaves

1. Back To Top    #1

Leaves Leaves and More Leaves

On the advice of my PB, we choose to leave the pool open all year. Although we are not heating or swimming, it is nice to hear the waterfall running and be able to look at the pool.

When I got home from work yesterday, I noticed a bunch of leaves in the pool settled along the steps. The skimmer basket was nearly empty and all seemed to be floating in the in the area of the steps. The water was several inches high due to 4" on rain in two days.

When I backwashed to drop the pool level, everything seemed okay. I'm just concerned as to why the leaves collected at the steps and not in the skimmer. Any thoughts.
    Grant and Jerri
    Liberty, NC
    New 18x36 vinyl liner pool with lighting and fountain

2. Back To Top    #2
    Hillsborough, NC

Re: Leaves Leaves and More Leaves

If the water level gets too high the surface of the water won't flow into the skimmer. It can be deceptive looking from the poolside, but it's easy to see if you open the skimmer lid. If the surface of the water in the skimmer doesn't continue uninterrupted into the pool then you'll get no skimming action. That was probably the issue given 4" of extra water.

3. Back To Top    #3

Spring, TX

The same thing happens to me. If the water is too full the skimmer basket can not do its just due to not being able to pull in debri. My leaves always gather a little to the right of the middle of the pool.

4. Back To Top    #4
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

Make sure too that if there is a return near there that you can set it so the water pushes the leaves away from the steps - there may be poor circulation in that area.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner