Cold Weather in SE Texas

Apr 30, 2009
Huntsville,TX
I live in SE Texas and it is supposed to get cold here (anything below freezing is COLD here) tonight. I checked and my freeze protect is set a 34, and it is programmed to run the filter pump. Is that all I need to run? What else, if anything, should I check to freeze protect. The menu allows me to check the spa, low speed (Jandy two-speed pump), cleaner, and lights. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Travis

I have no idea about what type of setup you have but as long as you keep a little water circulating in your whole system, you will be fine. Still water freezes much more easily than moving water....simply keep all your water moving.

FWIW, You are probably just fine down into the 20's for a single overnight period but I turn my pump on if the forecast low is 32 or below.

I thought it was odd when I read the docs on my AquaLogic PS-8 controller that it defaulted to a Freeze Protection mode that basically opened every circuit -- including both lights in spa and pool. Why in the world does anyone need to turn on their lights when it gets cold? :shock: Anyway, the first year I slowly trimmed the number of appliances that would turn on until I was left with the main pump ("Filter") and booster ("Cleaner"). This year I removed the booster, reasoning that water still flows thru these hoses/pipes and only the main should really need to operate.

In south east Texas I'll bet that even that is a bit of overkill, but it may give you that most valuable of all commodities... Peace Of Mind. :-D

An off topic conversation about global warming/cooling has been moved to the Agree to Disagree area. JasonLion

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.