pool grade shot 4 inches too high!!!

He missed his elevation, plain and simple. And the so did the excavator, the steel guy and the gunite company. It's debatable if the tile and coping man should have caught it, but the superintendent or builder missed the elevation from day one, and should not be offering any excuses (BTW, he had to allow for coping anyway, so the 2" thick stone is a very weak excuse :roll: ). I would think the concrete man would have asked what was up as well before he set forms (he obviously knew there was an elevation change or he wouldn't have put the step in. And a 4" step is not typical!).

Sounds to me like you are being very fair and trying to find a good end result. That is very cool, but you did nothing wrong and the PB really should be stepping up. Keep your good attitude and hopefully it will all work out for the best!

Bruce

4" for a step is asking for stumbles down and up and stubbed toes. I'm asking a question because I don't know much about the concrete issues except for settling soil and downshifting and up-shifting decking which I've had for years...... Could the patio be raised in some way, perhaps using the concrete patio for base of pavers? Or even the concrete patio abraded with new concrete poured over it? I realize that the threshold from house might not allow that though. But you could run a drain off where the patio (fixed in some way) meets the new decking if they could raise the patio a bit. Just wondering. :|

gg=alice

I'm sorry you're having so many problems but your pool is going to be so beautiful when it's done! I can just see it now!

Hope all ends well with this! :cheers:

Hi MOTG,

I will offer no suggestions or ideas; much more experienced people have already done that.

For what it's worth, I just want to say that from what I can see in your pictures. I think your pool looks very nice. Much nicer than mine :cry: I certainly don't "think it looks like ****" as you said earlier.

I believe that you and the PB can reach a satisfactory conclusion.

I will post additional pics of the pool later. Other than the deck, the pool is beautiful. There are so many things that I love about it. We did spend 6 months planning it and it is costing us out the wazoo so we expect it to look that way. We are in our house forever and we wanted to do it right the first time.

I was harping on the sloping deck because I was looking for a little sympathy. It stinks how one bad thing can make you forget about all of the great things.

Thanks for the compliments. Now back to work so we can pay for this pool!!!

If you have been unsuccesfull and the builder is unresponsive, you need to send him a letter outlining the issues and requesting corrective action within a reasonable timeframe. At the same time, I would obtain a second opinion (in writing) from another PB. If another PB agrees with your assessment, you likely have a potential action for breach of express and implied warranties.

I am not suggesting that you run to court. However, I would not rollover on this. Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.