Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt reading vs temperature

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt reading vs temperature

How will the temperature affect the salt level reading?

My SWG was showing 3500 ppm salt about 2 weeks ago when the temps were 76-78. This week, the temp is down to 67 and the salt level reading is 3000. There has been no water change, rain, splash out, etc. I can't think of any way salt was removed.

The SWG reads both salt and water temp, so I thought it would self correct.
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt reading vs temperature

Quote Originally Posted by lborne

My SWG was showing 3500 ppm salt about 2 weeks ago when the temps were 76-78. This week, the temp is down to 67 and the salt level reading is 3000. There has been no water change, rain, splash out, etc. I can't think of any way salt was removed.

Most SWGs these days will compensate the salt readings for temperature so it should stay constant but it depends on your brand. Mine stays within +- 100 ppm over temperature. What brand is your SWG?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a Compu Pool CPSC 26. Not much info out there on them.
    Solar heat

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a Compu Pool CPSC 26. Not much info out there on them.
    I was able to locate an Owner's manual; it doesn't directly address why the salt level would change suddenly but it does explain how the unit works in some detail. If the first link doesn't apply to your model, check out the second link -- the manufacturer's web site.

http://www.compupool.com.au/pdf/CPSC%20 ... Manual.pdf

http://www.compupool.com.au/index.html
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

5. Back To Top    #5

i thought they only have indicators for high/low salt, not the actual read out?

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes there are indicators, but when first turned on, and every few hours it seems, it checks the salt level and temperature and displays it for a while. Then it reverts back to showing the output level and you can use the select button to see the salt and temp again.

Anyway, I still can't figure out if I've somehow lost salt, or if the colder temps could affect the salt concentration readings. I know lower temp lowers conductivity, but not sure if this unit compensates.
    Solar heat

7. Back To Top    #7

Speaking without the benefit of experience... A difference of 500 seems like not worth worrying about too much, but worth keeping an eye on. I'd monitor salt and temp for a while; if they seem to track, then the unit isn't compensating for temp, and that's not a big deal. If they don't track, then it's worth thinking about what else might be going on.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

8. Back To Top    #8

test it with the strips
    i'm not sure how reliable their salt meter is

9. Back To Top    #9

Another option is if your SWG is plumbed for the spa as well, heat up the spa and see if the salt reading changes. You may need to use the instaneous salt reading if the unit has one since some units average the salt reading over a couple of cycles.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater