21.88°N versus 38.31°N

polyvue

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2009
Sacramento, California USA
Returned tonight from Kauai, HI, where the overnight temperatures hovered in the 68-72° range and daytimes stayed at or below 84°F. Strange thing was... the pool, built into the rocks some twenty feet over the sea (the waves broke over the deck's hand rail,) was too cold to swim in!

Yup. I couldn't bring myself to take a dip in this nicely maintained, all-tile pool with a priceless view of the Pacific, and seventy-six degree unheated water. Next time. (We did swim in the ocean swells north of the island near Princeville.)

Most surreal moment... standing on the beach gazing at the stars but recognizing only a single constellation! That was also my most thankful moment.

Attachments

• 3-Lawa\'i Bay - Kaua\'i_2009NOV26.jpg
    3-Lawa\'i Bay - Kaua\'i_2009NOV26.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 2-PoipuShoresPool_2009NOV27.jpg
    2-PoipuShoresPool_2009NOV27.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 1-PoipuShoresOcean_2009NOV25.jpg
    1-PoipuShoresOcean_2009NOV25.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 13
Sounds like a wonderful trip, albeit too short, and made me think of the vacation my mother and I spent on Kauai. We rented a cottage in Waimea - this was back in the mid-80s. The island wasn't yet very popular and the southwestern part was relatively under-developed. We spent our days driving the 50 miles of roads past sugar cane fields and walking along miles of empty beaches, but mostly we spent it eating Liliko'i pie at a small diner :)

What a great place that is!

AnnaK said:
Sounds like a wonderful trip, albeit too short, and made me think of the vacation my mother and I spent on Kauai. We rented a cottage in Waimea - this was back in the mid-80s. The island wasn't yet very popular and the southwestern part was relatively under-developed. We spent our days driving the 50 miles of roads past sugar cane fields and walking along miles of empty beaches, but mostly we spent it eating Liliko'i pie at a small diner
The last of the sugar cane was harvested this year... Campbell Soup now owns a large chunk of land in the south of the island and it's being developed for multi-million dollar manses. This, from the tour guide at the National Botanical Garden. What's not being developed is being planted with coffee, but I can tell you from first hand recent experience that the Kaua'i coffee is tasty only when flavored and no threat to the superb Kona grown on a different island.

MikeInTN said:
Thankful that you remembered at least one of the constellations?? :p
Well something like that... :-D Actually, it was the furthest south I've ever traveled and, having no star chart with me, was amazed at the a view of the sky that was entirely outside my range of experience. Some day I'll see Australia and see whether or not the southern cross truly exists.

polyvue said:
The last of the sugar cane was harvested this year... Campbell Soup now owns a large chunk of land in the south of the island and it's being developed for multi-million dollar manses.

Well [expletive deleted] ! Another truly fine place gone to [expletive deleted] .

Sigh.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.