Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PVC Pipe Tool?

1. Back To Top    #1

PVC Pipe Tool?

I have a Raypak heater that is leaking at the point where the PVC pipes from the pool attach to the heater. The pipes are secured with two screw-on collars obviously meant to be hand tightened, but if they were King Kong did the installation.

I think this is a simple matter of unscrewing the collar, replacing the seal, and maybe liberal application of some Teflon tape. However, I can't budge the collars. The pipes are big, maybe 3", and that is bigger than my largest pipe wrench, channel locks, etc.

How the heck do you get these things loose? Is there a special tool I should look for?

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: PVC Pipe Tool?

A strap wrench is what you want. You can find them at Lowe's.

I have these and use them all the time:

TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

That might do the trick. I figured there must be something like that since oil filters on car have a similar beast. Thanks for the prompt reply John.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Middle Tennessee

If the strap wrench doesn't work (I actually broke the strap on one once trying to break a union loose), you can buy ginormous channel locks which will do the trick. I bought a set after I broke my strap wrench mentioned above.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry
    New Orleans, LA

I second the Channel Locks ( Just be careful because the teeth of the Channel Locks tend to tear up the outside of the fitting a bit. Although it shouldn't cause any real harm.
    Josh Ulfers - TFP Supporting Vendor - - 888-725-8766 - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

6. Back To Top    #6
    Jamestown, ND

I use channel locks and just stick a rag over the union so it doesnt tear them up. Works like a charm.
    Chad R.

POOL SIZE: 16 x 32' Vinyl lined pool. 22,000 gallons. 8' deep. 2009 Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump. Hayward S310S 30" 500 lb Sand filter. 1 skimmer and 2 returns. Solar Blanket.

Pics of my pool:

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry
    Exeter, PA

if you buy channel locks, spray your channel locks with a silicone based spray and let dry, if you let them get rusty they are hard to re-adjust. Its easier to maintain something when it new and shiny versus trying to free up a rusted tool.
    X-Pert Pool Service
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp