pump repairs

Nov 17, 2009
I need help. I am not a very mechanical kind-of-girl so I will need step-by-step instructions. Our pool is about 3 years old and all of the pumping equipment is in our garage. I accidently bumped the pump with the car and now the clamp will not stay on the top of the pot as one of the little ridges broke off of the top of the pot opening. I hope I am not confusing you. We have a WhisperFlo Pump model no. WF-24 with 1 horsepower. So I did some research on the internet and it looks like I can get the parts and I do not have the replace the whole pump, just the VOLUTE VFE PUMP & POT part no. 350015. I got this information from the owner's manual.
My question is can I do this myself? Or should I call a pool repair company? How expensive will it be and how long do you think it will take? Also my husband doesn't really know about this and if we can't run the pump to circulate the water it won't take him long to find out.

Thanks so much for your help,
K

I do strongly encourage you to have it done as opposed to doing it yourself. The part number is for the almond body.
I also suggest replacing the gasket that sits between the seal plate and the body. It's part number is 357102.

Since the equipment is inside, I assume it's still attached to the plumbing too. If the suction and return sides don't have unions, there will be some plumbing too.

Expect the cost for those parts to be about $200 plus the plumbing parts if needed and about an hour and half labor, give or take, depending on the tech, accessibility, etc...

Scott
PoolGuyNJ

Welcome to TFP!!

Sorry you joined us under the present circumstances :(

While Scott, I, or a bunch of others here could assist you with making the repair by your self - time is of the essence! I, personally, am not familiar enough with the pump you have to be able to tell you, off the top of my head, exactly what needs be done to replace the housing (I could easily tell you all you'd need to do, if time allowed :) - if you had a Superpump - I could just link up some of my previous posts)

I STRONGLY! suggest telling your husband the truth - however, if you feel the need to keep this from him - I'd have the pros come and install a new pump.

Odds are that he'll notice something has changed and you don't want to be caught in a lie :hammer: Who knows, maybe you can tell him what happened and together utilize the info we'll gladly share with you to make the fix (2 heads and 4 hands are better when doing this work :wink: )

Whichever way you decide to handle this, I'll proffer you the best advice I can give :cool:

While I agree with waste about letting your husband know, I don't think a whole pump is needed which will keep the total repair costs substantially lower than if you needed a a whole unit. Things happen sometimes. Humility and honesty will help keep things simpler. It could have been a lot worse.

Scott
PoolGuyNJ

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.