Freeze Protection

serge

Nov 2, 2009
Katy, TX
Last night, OAT in the area must have reached close to 37ºF as the "freeze protection" feature in my system was turned on. PB had set it up to run the filter pump, water features pump and cleaner pump. My two questions are: does the cleaner pump need to be freeze protected (my understanding is that the filter pump moves water through the cleaner pipes as well) and 2) can I change the temp. at which freeze protection kicks in? I have the Easy Touch Pool & Spa Control System, but don't see an option to change the temp.

I do mine manually. I've only turned on the Polaris booster pump when we have especially low temps that last for several days. The water coming from my pressure cleaner return, in pool, is almost as good as the other jets even when the booster is off.

gg=alice

On my system I can disable my pump controller (which would run the pump until the freeze is over on low speed) and just use the pump itself (which run's the pump for about 15 second's every 2 to 3 minute's) to do freeze protection.

serge said:
Last night, OAT in the area must have reached close to 37ºF as the "freeze protection" feature in my system was turned on. PB had set it up to run the filter pump, water features pump and cleaner pump. My two questions are: does the cleaner pump need to be freeze protected (my understanding is that the filter pump moves water through the cleaner pipes as well) and 2) can I change the temp. at which freeze protection kicks in? I have the Easy Touch Pool & Spa Control System, but don't see an option to change the temp.
1) Without seeing how your system is plumbed it's hard for us to say whether your cleaner pump "needs" to run or not. If water is flowing completely through all parts of the pump then it probably doesn't need to run but if any part of the pump is static (no water flowing with just the filter pump running) it absolutely needs to run.

2) If your PB set the system up to come on at 40ºF (common) then you should be albe to change it. I have no experience with the Easy Touch controller but someone should come along that has.

I believe the easy touch freeze protection is preset to 35F and cannot be adjusted, but you could try recalibrating your air sensor if you had to.

Freeze protection is a yes/no option for each circuit (Pool Pump, Cleaner, etc.). You should be able to find it in Menu>Settings>[Circuit Name]

You can find temp sensor calibration under Menu>Settings>Calibration.

Here's the manual if you need it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.