FOUND ~ 1 Bug!! :(

Jun 22, 2007
SDakota
HELP!!! :shock: I was cleaning out stuff from the pool this evening, and I saw something black darting around under the water... When I shined my headlight on it (it was very dark out), the bug (or whatever it was) took off.... Of course, I panicked...... LOL So I grabbed the skimmer, and searched for the little bugger, scooped it up, and to my shock, when I took it out of the water, it started flopping like a fish out of water, and it was a shiny silverish color ........ :shock: :shock: Before I had a chance to think rationally, I flung the critter away from the pool-----wasn't about to let the quick little devil back into my pool, nooo way sir, only to realize I shouldn't have flung it, but instead taken a photo of it so I could show you all and ask----What in the world was it? :roll:

So, can anyone shed any light on just what I had found in my pool?????? Thanks for your help in advance :D

I don't remember the specific names, but there are water bugs that search out, well, water in which to hunt :)

They're predators, looking for other bugs. They also can fly.

They're harmless, and usually leave when they find there's no food, as is usually the case in a well maintained TFP :)

Does sound like water boatmen to me. we have them in our pool from time to time. They have liitle wings that look like boat oars they use to swim. They like to live in the nooks and crannies (return jets, light fixtures) and they come to the surface for air. Apparently they can bite, and if you throw them away from your pool, make sure you throw them far or squish them.

We've only had one of these so far. Didn't freak me out too much as I remember these from my pool growing up as a kid. Ours was black and had the oar looking things on each side that it swam with. Very fast little buggers. I did manage to get it out of the pool but I didn't throw it very far cause I was trying to get it out and it was so QUICK!LOL That was a few weeks ago. Haven't seen any more since. :)

Did it look like this?

69.jpg

or more like this?

70.jpg

They both bite and they both can fly. All beetles can fly. The first is the water boatmen and the second the a water beetle or predaceous diving beetle. The water beetle can take quite a chuck out of you if it bites you. The water boatmen not so bad, but you will feel it.

crazycanuck said:
I don't think they fly, but they can hop a good distance.

A while back I scooped a big boatman out of our pool. He landed, turned, and started hopping back towards the pool. I was in the pool, between him and the pool. He got about 3 feet from me, stared me down, then took off like a rocket over my head. Scared the... well, thank God for FC :)

I turned quickly, expecting to see him land, but he was flying, and I was able to track him until he was well out of sight.

Blew my mind :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
crazycanuck said:
Buggsw said:
Usually, once or twice a year I find a big old "sewer" roach in my skimmer. Just had one the other day - It was about 4 inches long and about an inch wide. They fly and look like small bats.

is that the same as a palmetto bug?

no, I'm in Florence SC (the palmetto state) and a Palmetto bug is basicly a roach that flies...I hate those things.

Rangeball said:
crazycanuck said:
I don't think they fly, but they can hop a good distance.

A while back I scooped a big boatman out of our pool. He landed, turned, and started hopping back towards the pool. I was in the pool, between him and the pool. He got about 3 feet from me, stared me down, then took off like a rocket over my head. Scared the... well, thank God for FC :)

I turned quickly, expecting to see him land, but he was flying, and I was able to track him until he was well out of sight.

Blew my mind :)

LOL! I can picture this entire scene! :-D

Those beetles pictured above. I have never, ever seen one in our pool BUT there are usually always about 2-3 (sometimes more) in the skimmer every morning when I clean it out.

Does anyone else rescue bugs from their pool?

Spiders, bees, wasps, they all get a pass from me. I find them floating and living, I give them a helping hand to safety.

Other bugs as well. Even crickets :)

Circle of life and all... :)

That said, I've never had occasion to save a roach. Thank God...

I rescue every bug that I see.
I also leave a couple of pool noodles floating around in there for bugs to climb on and save themselves.

I figure in the next life, I might be the bug.........

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.