Apr 8, 2009
Orange Park, FL
Current reading:
FC = 15
PH = 7.5
Alk = 80
Salt = 3300
CYA = 70

My FC level has been high since mid October and after adjusting the SWG output knob down several times, I finally turned the switch off. The switch has been off for a week now and the FC reading hasn't changed. I'm using the Taylor kit and my reagents are fresh. The weather is cooler so I know the FC level is not decreasing as much as during the summer heat. However, I would think it should have decreased some in a week. I live in North Florida and while the unit has been off we've experienced a few cloudy and cooler days and nights. My pool is also in a screen enclosure. During the summer, my pump runs 12 hours a day. I've since scaled back to 6 hours/day.

I'm perplexed and have many questions......

Is the SWG is working correctly? Everything seems fine as there are no flashing lights, etc. Could there be a problem with the adjustment knob and it was "overproducing"?

Is it normal that my FC level is not decreasing with the SWG off? Also, can I unplug the power cord to the SWG power box while the unit remains off?

If the conditions are right, it would certainly be possible for the FC to remain stable - if there were no organics or sunlight to consume the chlorine...I've experienced that in my own pool. If no one has been swimming, if the pool doesn't get direct sunlight... Does your screen enclosure have a roof?

frustratedpoolmom said:
If no one has been swimming, if the pool doesn't get direct sunlight... Does your screen enclosure have a roof?

The enclosure is all screen, including the roof. I don't have a heater so we stopped swimming a month ago. I'm sure you are correct that with the cooler weather and a few cloudy days the chlorine is not being consummed as quickly. I'll check the FC level every couple of days and will restart the SWG when warranted.

Your SWG is probably operating normally. I'm in Mid - Southern Florida, with a screen enclosure, 76 degree temp, but my FC level has been above 10 for a month now. I've had my SWG on the lowest setting (10%) for 3 weeks and off this past week and still it is still above 10.

I'm in Dallas area. Water fell below 60 F past few days. Much more chlorine use above 65 F. Some days are in high 70's; nights 40s-50s. Chlorine use has dropped drastically even with leaves and dust blowing in. Leaves and dust sit in pool overnight till I run pump during day and still isn't consuming chlorine as much as I thought it would. Doggies aren't getting in pool nearly as much either. We had a few inches of rain the other day and it took it down less than I figured it would, too. Sun only hitting 1/3 of pool for about 3 hrs a day now, and with about 1/3 of days being overcast. I've been raising my CYA, by hanging CYA filled stocking into pool. In summer it dissolved in about 24 hours. It has taken almost 2 weeks for it to dissolve now. I did an AA treatment a few weeks ago. With water temps in 60's the process took almost two weeks vs a couple of days when temps are near swimming temps.

As far as I can see everything is really slowing down, just as our experts advised. :) It's really nice not to have to take readings so much. My CYA read 30 the other day but I'm expecting it to increase a bit more since everything has slowed down so much.

gg=alice

I also have a SWCG and lately have had to turn the dial down to 20% from 35% (running 4 hours of pump time daily). Latest test results from the shop were; CYA 38, TC 6.5,FC 6.5, PH 7.4,Adjusted total alk. 88, CH 309, Salt 3400 average water temp 63-65º..I gues with low temps an 0 bather load...Chlorine is abundant...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jagfan, I think this is normal. My FC has been 14 for the last month and I have my pool pump running for 2 hrs and the SWG is at 5%. We also have an enclosure and the water has been crystal clear. I still have to add a cup of muratic acid weekly as the pool is only 3-4mths old and we have a lot of aereation due to the water features. :cheers:
Last weeks tests
FC 14.5
CC 0
TC 14.5
PH 7.5
T/A 100
CH 375
Temp 75
SWG 3000

:party:

Brentr
My SWG is still off and today the FC is 10, so it's coming down. I've got the pump running 5 hours each day and like yours, the water is crystal clear. I think I'll try running the pump about 3 hours and see how it goes. This is my first fall/winter with the SWG and screen enclosure. I'm just amazed at how neat and clean everything looks and with so little effort. The enclosure is the best money I've ever spent on the pool.

Yes, pool screen enclosures are the best. They keep out all the leaves and grass and crawling critters :mrgreen: Honestly we could not enjoy it especially at night when all the nats and mosqitos come out. Take a look at our Spool Build in the siganture bar :cheers:

Just to follow up, last Saturday pool store reading for FC went up from 6.5 to 8.5 even though I had set me pump time to 3 hrs (from 4) and SWCG output to 20% (from 30%)....Today I just set the Intellichlor to 0% and hope to get FC down to 2-4 range...water temp 59-63 in the last 8 days....expecting lower temps this week

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.