Closing w/ Heat Pump

autoxer

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 5, 2009
Marriottsville, MD
We have a heat pump in line with our returns, after our filter. When I closed recently of course I blew the return lines out, and I assumed that plus opening the drain plug should have taken care of the heat pump as well. Well, the drain plug on the heater is a sort of springy, retained drain plug, which, being unfamiliar with, led me to get the manual out. Then I found the manual says to disconnect the inlet and outlet pipes for winterizing. We do have unions there (although I currently have no tool big enough to grip them) but I don't see the need. Am I wrong? Should I really disconnect the heater there?

Thx

An oil filter wrench works and is inexpensive. Look like an oversized channel lock. Another alternative is a strap wrench but sometimes the unions are too low to the ground to get the strap under it. Don't leave too large a gap since you don't want dirt or animals getting in. Just enough for the water to leave. I usually thread the coupling about a 1/2 to 3/4 turn to keep crud out and let any water drip.

Scott
PoolGuyNJ

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.