Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closing w/ Heat Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Marriottsville, MD

Closing w/ Heat Pump

We have a heat pump in line with our returns, after our filter. When I closed recently of course I blew the return lines out, and I assumed that plus opening the drain plug should have taken care of the heat pump as well. Well, the drain plug on the heater is a sort of springy, retained drain plug, which, being unfamiliar with, led me to get the manual out. Then I found the manual says to disconnect the inlet and outlet pipes for winterizing. We do have unions there (although I currently have no tool big enough to grip them) but I don't see the need. Am I wrong? Should I really disconnect the heater there?

22.5k gal. (est.) IG Dark Plaster Pool (2007)
    Jandy Stealth SHPM 2.0HP Pump ~100gpm
    Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter
    Polaris 9300 Bot/Cleaner
    Jandy AE-Ti AE2000T Heat Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

South Central NJ

Re: Closing w/ Heat Pump

An oil filter wrench works and is inexpensive. Look like an oversized channel lock. Another alternative is a strap wrench but sometimes the unions are too low to the ground to get the strap under it. Don't leave too large a gap since you don't want dirt or animals getting in. Just enough for the water to leave. I usually thread the coupling about a 1/2 to 3/4 turn to keep crud out and let any water drip.

Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Exeter, PA

Re: Closing w/ Heat Pump

typically we use strap wrenches or channel locks (the big channel locks)
    X-Pert Pool Service
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp