Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: One week since fresh fill and start of BBB

1. Back To Top    #1

One week since fresh fill and start of BBB

After my fresh fill last Wednesday to Today, I've made it . . . .

FC - 4.0
    PH - 7.6
    TA - 80
    CH - 140
    CYA - 30
    Borate - 50 (est)

So as of today I start with liquid Chlorine (6%) for maintaining my FC. I will also carry out the advice given regarding shocking and future additive of Dichlor to maintain the CYA.

This is a big change for me from using all the various "store pushed" chemicals. Looking forward to seeing how the BBB method works.

Thanks to the advice here I have a much better understanding of what to look for, and why!

What I learned that made this possible for me are:

1) Read the advice given here over and over again until the concept is understood!
    2) Get the right test kit! Don't cheap out or try to cheat by using anything less.
    3) Log every step taken with date and time. Log the results accurately.
    4) Be patient. That's hard when you're very busy. I know. But it pays off.
    5) Don't be afraid to ask questions. No such thing as a stupid question.

Still lots to learn! Glad I joined this place. . . .

Peter
    1250L (330 US Gal) Max Spa - Chlorine
    Owned and operated since 2001 and still learning . . .
    BBB beginner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: One week since fresh fill and start of BBB

Quote Originally Posted by Petermgr
    So as of today I start with liquid Chlorine (6%) for maintaining my FC. I will also carry out the advice given regarding shocking and future additive of Dichlor to maintain the CYA.
    I hope you were well paid for this testimonial.
    Now the good advice I understand is usually paid by the recipient, by ignoring it.

But don't you think it's about time to change that avatar -- you're making the rest of us look bad!

EDIT * * * This actually IS good advice... just trying to be funny! * * * END EDIT
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by polyvue
    I hope you were well paid for this testimonial.
    Now the good advice I understand is usually paid by the recipient, by ignoring it.
    ???????????? What's that all about?

I'm following advice given on this site:

when-to-add-borax-new-spa-first-fill-t17851.html ( see Chem Geek's advice regarding adding Dichlor for 1-2 days once a month to keep the CYA constant)

Thanks for the comment.
    BBB beginner

4. Back To Top    #4

I like the avatar. Gives me a chuckle.
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

5. Back To Top    #5

Just so there is no confusion, the advice of adding a day or two's worth of Dichlor every month is for a spa where the hot temperatures have the chlorine break down some of the CYA. This usually isn't needed in a pool unless there is water dilution so that depends on filter type (cartridge filter doesn't get backwashed, for example). Peter is using BBB for his spa.

In a properly maintained pool or spa that is using sufficient quantities of sanitizer/oxidizer to get rid of bather waste, shocking is rarely needed.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

What's that all about?
    It's about me trying to be funny and droll while paying you a compliment and failing miserably! Sorry to be so obscure; I read it this morning and cringed. I thought your advice was top-notch and only wish that I'd had it during the years I struggled with my spa.

Quote Originally Posted by geekgranny
    Me, too. Great contrast to the lessons learned that were expressed in the post.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

7. Back To Top    #7

I totally agree.
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

8. Back To Top    #8

What's that all about?
    It's about me trying to be funny and droll while paying you a compliment and failing miserably! Sorry to be so obscure; I read it this morning and cringed. I thought your advice was top-notch and only wish that I'd had it during the years I struggled with my spa.
    Thanks polyvue . . .

So, moving forward. I'm enjoying how clean my spa is now. What makes even more enjoyable is that (thanks to this forum) I now understand what I'm putting into my spa and the logic behind it all.

As for my avatar . . . a reminder to me of the bad advice I got from the local pool store. The spa looks great right now . . . Come to think of it, I should post an "after" shot . . .

Take care

Pete
    BBB beginner