SAND in the POOL or Calcium deposits

mred

Sep 1, 2008
everywhere
i have noticed here lately that my pools has what appears to be sand. someone suggested "pool store" that is probably "DE" but the "DE" is 1000Xs times finer than what i am getting out of my pool.
im getting what looks to be SAND or is it Calcium?
i use a fine leaf bag to peak up the leaves.
the bag is also picking up this "sand" which is real small balls that look like "sand".
can anyone help or give a clue.
thanks
Ed :wave:

If it looks like sand and is shaped like sand then.... it may be sand! You have a sand filter --perhaps that's the source. Other possiblities: sand/dirt blown in on the winds; undissolved granules from some dry chemical added to your pool; large pollen or some other plant-like debris from nearby trees; precipitated solids (calcium, metals etc.) from very high or very low pH.

mred said:
its pool plaster.
did some talking with a pool guy.
he asked me questions, we talked, and checked my chemicals.
bottom line is readings are good and i neglected to vacuum the pool in quite sometime.
Hmmm... the pool guy said this was pool plaster? I recall that I had some plaster dust during the first couple of weeks in my newly plastered pool, but nothing ever again like that. If this is still a concern, I would recommend performing/documenting a full set of test results (pH, FC, CC, TA, CH & CYA) and then performing an overnight chlorine loss test, explained here: pool-school/overnight_fc_test

If you don't have a test kit that will enable you to conduct these tests, now is the time to get one! :-D

mred said:
i have noticed here lately that my pools has what appears to be sand. someone suggested "pool store" that is probably "DE" but the "DE" is 1000Xs times finer than what i am getting out of my pool.
im getting what looks to be SAND or is it Calcium?
i use a fine leaf bag to peak up the leaves.
the bag is also picking up this "sand" which is real small balls that look like "sand".
can anyone help or give a clue.
thanks
Ed :wave:
I get this too, and just assumed it was DE. Never worried me too much...

It is not calcium. Calcium precipitates onto surfaces.

PS - your geographic location is important should you have a question that is influenced by climate. (like closing or summer temps, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.