Solar Cover advice

Jun 2, 2009
I did a search but either I'm crappy at searching or the info wasn't there...

I am working on getting solar heat for my rectangular 20 x 60 pool. I need a solar blankie also; it turns out there aren't any in that size. The installer of the solar system can get something custom ordered, but they won't ship until the spring.

I found solar cover.com and there is a 30 x 60 cover there, which would work (I could fold the sides over or cut it to fit) but figured I would ask for advice before spending a fair bit of $$.

Anyone have favorite vendors/websites that you know is higher quality?

I also need a reel of appropriate size.

Thanks!

Don't look for a custom size, when I had a customer with a 20x50 pool I sold a 25x50 and cut the extra off the edge. It's your best bet to save money because it's a standard size you are buying. By the way for such a large pool I would recommend a cheaper solar cover because of weight issues, it may not last as long but solar covers do get pretty heavy to roll up when they get large.

With that size pool I expect you'll get a reel, but even so you might consider dividing the cover into sections for easier management. There are various posts around describing how people have handled that.
--paulr

I purchased my solar cover and reel from solarcovers.com and was pleased with their service and products. The cover showed up 3 or 4 days after I placed the order and the reel came a few days after the cover (it was drop shipped from the manufacturer). They are new this year so I can't comment on longevity.

I went with a reel from Rocky's Rollers and am happy with it. My only suggestion might be to look for a reel with a hand crank on both sides. Rolling up my 40' cover takes a few tugs along the way to keep it rolled smooth. Not a problem when two people are there, but single handed rolling requires a few trips back and forth.

Good luck!
Gordon

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.