Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Cover advice

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Cover advice

I did a search but either I'm crappy at searching or the info wasn't there...

I am working on getting solar heat for my rectangular 20 x 60 pool. I need a solar blankie also; it turns out there aren't any in that size. The installer of the solar system can get something custom ordered, but they won't ship until the spring.

I found solar cover.com and there is a 30 x 60 cover there, which would work (I could fold the sides over or cut it to fit) but figured I would ask for advice before spending a fair bit of $$.

Anyone have favorite vendors/websites that you know is higher quality?

I also need a reel of appropriate size.

Thanks!
    24'x52" AG Doughboy Copper Canyon
    1.5 hp Hayward Power FLo pump
    250# Hayward Sand Filter
    Hiram GA (west side of ATL)

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Solar Cover advice

Don't look for a custom size, when I had a customer with a 20x50 pool I sold a 25x50 and cut the extra off the edge. It's your best bet to save money because it's a standard size you are buying. By the way for such a large pool I would recommend a cheaper solar cover because of weight issues, it may not last as long but solar covers do get pretty heavy to roll up when they get large.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

3. Back To Top    #3

With that size pool I expect you'll get a reel, but even so you might consider dividing the cover into sections for easier management. There are various posts around describing how people have handled that.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

4. Back To Top    #4

I purchased my solar cover and reel from solarcovers.com and was pleased with their service and products. The cover showed up 3 or 4 days after I placed the order and the reel came a few days after the cover (it was drop shipped from the manufacturer). They are new this year so I can't comment on longevity.

I went with a reel from Rocky's Rollers and am happy with it. My only suggestion might be to look for a reel with a hand crank on both sides. Rolling up my 40' cover takes a few tugs along the way to keep it rolled smooth. Not a problem when two people are there, but single handed rolling requires a few trips back and forth.

Good luck!
    Gordon
    27K gal, IG vinyl, 1.5 HP pump, 24" sand filter, Goldline Aqua Plus SWG