Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Gunite applied over 2 days?

1. Back To Top    #1

Gunite applied over 2 days?

OK, this is my first post and I really need some help/advice. After several months of planning, picking the pool builder, etc., we finally started our pool build this week. The hole was dug earlier in the week and gunite was scheduled for today.

Unfortunately the gunite crew didn't start until 3:00 or so and it got dark before they finished. As such they are now scheduled to come back tomorrow to finish the pool.

Is this going to be a problem for me? I always thought you should pour concrete in one application and while I realize there is a difference between gunite and concrete, I would think the same rule would apply.

Am I worrying needlessly or is this an issue?

Thanks in advance

Joe
    live in eastern washington state
    18x36, Vinyl inground 24k
    Hayward 1 hp filter pump
    1 skimmer/2 returns
    24" sand filter, polaris 280 with booster pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Gunite applied over 2 days?

Quote Originally Posted by jchurley
    Unfortunately the gunite crew didn't start until 3:00 or so and it got dark before they finished. As such they are now scheduled to come back tomorrow to finish the pool.

Is this going to be a problem for me? I always thought you should pour concrete in one application and while I realize there is a difference between gunite and concrete, I would think the same rule would apply.
    Hey Joe! A (belated) welcome to the forum!

The industry/gunite members may overrule my opinion, but I have heard of projects that take multiple days to complete and don't know of any serious downside excepting gunite that is mixed or applied improperly. Of course, this could happen with a single-application as well as to several applications.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Gunite applied over 2 days?

No need to worry! We can't shoot an Olympic pool in a day, and the industry does not recognize a cold joint in a pool. Large pools can often take several days to shoot, so unless there is poor workmanship (like polyvue mentioned) there should be no issues!

Relax and enjoy the process

Bruce

PS Here's an example of a pool I built about a year ago, and we didn't get it shot in a day!
    Attached Images Attached Images