Standing water in pipes.

lborne

Jun 29, 2009
Vero Beach, FL
When we had our pool built a couple months ago, we had a vacuum line installed. The PB suggested I not buy an automatic vacuum right away since my pool is in a screen enclosure and in his experience, they seldom need one. He was right - not much gets in the pool, plus my family is happy not to have the hose in the pool all the time. The vac line end at the pool has the safety cap on it, so it is plugged. At the equipment pad end, I've had the valve shut off.

Is there a problem with leaving the water in the 2" pipe just sit there for years? Will it get nasty and cause problems in the future? Should I open the line and let the pump flush it every few months - which I'd rather not have to remember to do? Should I drain the line and then close it off?

I have several customers with dedicated vacuum/pressure lines that rarely, if ever, get used. They don't cause any major issues for water quality, although it would be a good idea to flush them out every now and then. However, if you get freezing temps you could have a problem since the water in that pipe isn't moving even if your (assumed) freeze protection has turned the pump on. For that reason you should either insulate the line or plan on it being open during freezing weather. *or blow it out...

While I don't believe there'd be a problem, I'd vote for # two or three. I'd either open it periodically and flush it with fresh water or I'd blow it out and cap it. However, I don't believe you'll ever get 100% of the water out of it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.