AutoPilot SC-48 Reading "Low Amps"

Oct 30, 2009
I've cleaned the cell, inspected the wires and the pool chemistry is good. However, I'm now getting a "Low amps" reading and the amps are now .6 Voltage is fine at 28V. If the cell looks clean, but the amps are .6 does this mean the cell has died? Also starting to get algae because the chlorine level has dropped.

Please help.

weekend warrior

weekendwarrior said:
I've cleaned the cell, inspected the wires and the pool chemistry is good. However, I'm now getting a "Low amps" reading and the amps are now .6 Voltage is fine at 28V. If the cell looks clean, but the amps are .6 does this mean the cell has died? Also starting to get algae because the chlorine level has dropped.
Welcome to the forum, weekend warrior :-D

The Autopilot folks will address your question, but meanwhile I would urge you to not delay in fighting the algae -- use liquid chlorine. Please read up on how to do this in this article.

Good luck to you!

Not sure if it was a low voltage or amp but I think I had a similar issue a long time ago and it turned out to be the cell cable the part that attaches to the main panel and not the cell. Apparently I rolled the excess cable and let it dangle and the weight pulled the attachment and with time it was not making contact. They sent me a new cable and that was the end of it. From there on I would roll it and just let it rest on the piping w/out any wait pulling from the connectors.
How old is the cell. If its 3yrs or more then its likely the cell going bad.

Hi Weekendwarrior,

Remove the cell and inspect the two outer blades and compare if these are shorter than the blades between them. This, along with the amp and volt results, would verify if the cell needs to be replaced.
Also, as suggested, check your cell cord at both ends for damage or discoloration.
Hope this helps.

Yamilrx, This was exactly the problem. The cell cord connector (male end of the cell cord) appeared to be fine when in fact the wire had pulled away and a connection to the AutoPilot box was no longer being made. The plastic around the wire made it look as though the cord was fine and a proper connection was made.

Thank you for your help. Greatly appreciated in a time of need.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.