Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Think I got lucky...

1. Back To Top    #1

Dallas, TX

Think I got lucky...

Ran my pump dry for about 2 1/2 hours yesterday with no apparent damage. (crossing fingers)

Forgot to reset the valve to "filter" after draining off some water yesterday morning, so when the timer kicked on for the day it was still set to "waste"!!! Needless to say, it drained as much as it could then ran dry the rest of the time. On top of that I had the Polaris set to come on with the main pump, so the booster pump ran dry as well. Good thing the timer was set to run for only 3 hours!

This morning I turned on both pumps, preparing for the worst, but to my surprise there doesn't seem to be any damage. Both pumps operating normally, filter pressure normal, no strange noises, no water leaks. If any damage was done, wouldn't it have been apparent right away?
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Think I got lucky...

Looks like you might have. You really don't know how long they ran without water or if they ran at all without water. Just because they weren't pumping doesn't mean there wasn't some water in the casings keeping things cool. Eventually they would have boiled off the water and ruined the seals but it appears you got lucky.

I wouldn't press my luck again if I were you though.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Think I got lucky...

Been there done that and got away with it also.

I think for the same reason bama slurped 95% air but just enough water came coughing in to keep it cool
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School