Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How low is toooo low

1. Back To Top    #1

How low is toooo low

we cant cover our pool this winter due to a leak in the liner. We are adding water still but wondering how low is too low before it becomes unstable and the possiblity of wall collaspe happens? we are at about 16" of water left now.
    Overwhelmed
    Pool size: 15' X 48" AG vinyl liner, 5300 gallons, Hayward S166T filter and 1hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How low is toooo low

WOW...cant believe I cant get an answer, guess I will search another forum
    Overwhelmed
    Pool size: 15' X 48" AG vinyl liner, 5300 gallons, Hayward S166T filter and 1hp pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Now that we are in the winter months we don't have as many members online....sometimes it takes longer than 1 day to receive an answer...

I'm sorry that those who are still here didn't have an answer for you.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jshinklin
    WOW...cant believe I cant get an answer, guess I will search another forum
    Demand a refund!

6-12" will hold the liner in place. I would fill it to at least 2' to be safe.

5. Back To Top    #5

Normally, the lowest point you should go is 3-4" below the lowest return line. Anything lower than that you run the risk of wall damage.

Edit to remove link. Butterfly
    I have an 18ft round above ground pool with a hayward easy-clear micro filter, 1 hp pump, hayward automatic feed chlorinator.

6. Back To Top    #6

That liner either needs to be replaced or have an electronic leak detection done to find the hole(s) and patch them.

If the water table around the pool's outside rises above the water level inside, the liner will lift and float. A floating liner will not set back where it was usually and wrinkles will develop. As the liner ages, it will also shrink. Wrinkles take up some of the available material so there is less of an ability to stretch.

When a liner can't stretch, it will tear or pull out of the track and not go back in.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

7. Back To Top    #7

buy a liner now while they are on sale and have it replaced in the spring. I wouldn;t even bother covering as any weight on the cover would put too much stress on you abg pool wall with only 16" of water supporting it.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

8. Back To Top    #8

Liners have a shelf life. Installers can order a "Winter Cut". This means it's slightly larger than a regular cut liner. Since the water and air are low temps, the liner's ability to stretch is reduced. The Winter cut allows for this so the liner fits correctly.

Do NOT leave that pool empty and uncovered. That is a serious safety concern and can damage the pool too. Remember, Murphy is watching! If someone slips and falls in unnoticed, like a kid or a dog or a deer....

While replacing the liner, pressure test the lines. You can get to the drain easily when it's empty. You can also change the drain cover to a VGB compliant one.

Scott
    PoolGuyNJ
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    Liners have a shelf life. Installers can order a "Winter Cut". This means it's slightly larger than a regular cut liner. Since the water and air are low temps, the liner's ability to stretch is reduced. The Winter cut allows for this so the liner fits correctly.

Do NOT leave that pool empty and uncovered. That is a serious safety concern and can damage the pool too. Remember, Murphy is watching! If someone slips and falls in unnoticed, like a kid or a dog or a deer....

While replacing the liner, pressure test the lines. You can get to the drain easily when it's empty. You can also change the drain cover to a VGB compliant one.

Scott
    PoolGuyNJ
    This is an AGP.

10. Back To Top    #10

As Rosanna Rosannadanna from Saturday Night Live's early years would say, Never Mind.
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC

11. Back To Top    #11

Phew Here I thought my liner that sat in the garage last winter before we installed to pool in the spring was about fail....it's all good
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator